• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT Infinity 1 - web page load is crap but download speed is not!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What hardware are you using?

Wireless or wired?
    Last edited by unixman; 12 November 2015, 11:09.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      What hardware are you using?

Wireless or wired?
      Wired (over POE). But download speed would be crap wouldnt it if this were the problem.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Close to 38Mb.
        Same as mine. Are wireless and wired download speeds the same/similar across devices/services/websites?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

My other half has the same problem on her laptop which to be fair is a couple of years old and she's no idea how to do housekeeping on it.

IMO your first steps are..
          Take it to someone else's house and try and also find another laptop to try at your house.
          That should tell you if it's laptop or broadband related. I suspect its laptop related as everything else in my house is lightening fast.

If you can isolate the laptop then time to pull that apart and find out what's going on.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Can you hurry up and confirm that it was the DNS?

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What browser? Chrome has a handy thing where the loading icon on each tab turns in different directions which I think indicates whether it's waiting for a response or actually loading the page. Maybe it's the response time to HTTP requests which is slow?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Same as mine. Are wireless and wired download speeds the same/similar across devices/services/websites?
                Leave wifi to the mrs and kids in my house. My PC is on a wired POE.
                Yes I know there is 'some' overhead even with this but I friggin hate wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  My other half has the same problem on her laptop which to be fair is a couple of years old and she's no idea how to do housekeeping on it.

IMO your first steps are..
                  Take it to someone else's house and try and also find another laptop to try at your house.
                  That should tell you if it's laptop or broadband related. I suspect its laptop related as everything else in my house is lightening fast.

If you can isolate the laptop then time to pull that apart and find out what's going on.
                  Ah but thats just it. Last week we had sky fibre all good - this week we switched to BT.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Can you hurry up and confirm that it was the DNS?

hang on mun I'm at client site. I won't be able to do till I get home tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Ah but thats just it. Last week we had sky fibre all good - this week we switched to BT.
                      Doesn't matter. Approach it logically from the ground up so you are absolutely sure. Doesn't take much time to be absolutely sure.
                      From what you are saying it does sound a little unlikey to be the laptop but I think it still has to be done.

The root cause of the problem might be the change but the fix might be at the laptop end... If that makes sense.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X