• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BT Infinity 1 - web page load is crap but download speed is not!"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    DNS change makes a big difference btw.

Now shall we discuss my fee?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Sorry Powerline/ethernet over power.

DNS change makes a big difference btw.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    PPPoE?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Yes POE is something different altogether.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    What's POE, power over Ethernet? You mean you are using those power line adapter things? .
    That bit is confusing me too. POE <> Powerline.

If it is over Powerline, what does PowerPacket tell you the speed at the PC is?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    How long have you had the hub switched on with BT?
    A week now,

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    These responses are like the BT "technical" assistance script.

If you use powerline adapters do they need to be (re-)configured?

Do you only see this on one machine via poweline? What about when you connect using WiFi on the laptop? What about when you use your smart-phone/tablet/etc on WiFi?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Wired (over POE). But download speed would be crap wouldnt it if this were the problem.
    What's POE, power over Ethernet? You mean you are using those power line adapter things? Either way, to confirm I would try it again over wired Ethernet straight into your router, ie. not using the power line adapters.

Your speed test is 38Mb but pages are still slow to load, even with different browsers.

Raw download speed might not be the issue. In downloading the page, your browser makes a large number of requests and downloads many small files, perhaps hundreds, from 1 or more web servers. Eg. downloading bbc.co.uk requires 268 requests and downloads 138 files, just for the front page. Your PC does a lot of work to to open and close 268 network connections. Also your PC must do work in rendering the pages, running embedded scripts and what have you, which briefly loads the CPU. Downloading bbc.co.uk takes 4.5 seconds on my i7 laptop, 8.6 seconds on a Raspberry pi 2, and 24.3 seconds on a Pi 1.

Those tests are with wget and a single thread, all wired. Browsers do it quicker by raising parallel requests. Anyway what I am saying is the problem might be in your PC, tablet or whatever. My Internet speed is 17 Mb/s btw.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    How long have you had the hub switched on with BT?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Doesn't matter. Approach it logically from the ground up so you are absolutely sure. Doesn't take much time to be absolutely sure.
    From what you are saying it does sound a little unlikey to be the laptop but I think it still has to be done.

The root cause of the problem might be the change but the fix might be at the laptop end... If that makes sense.
    Ah yes. Its desktop as well BTW. BUT I still think 99.9% that its the change. Nothing significant has changed on PC apart from broadband provider. Same ethernet, same POE plugs, just different router (BT hub one).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Ah but thats just it. Last week we had sky fibre all good - this week we switched to BT.
    Doesn't matter. Approach it logically from the ground up so you are absolutely sure. Doesn't take much time to be absolutely sure.
    From what you are saying it does sound a little unlikey to be the laptop but I think it still has to be done.

The root cause of the problem might be the change but the fix might be at the laptop end... If that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Can you hurry up and confirm that it was the DNS?

hang on mun I'm at client site. I won't be able to do till I get home tonight!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    My other half has the same problem on her laptop which to be fair is a couple of years old and she's no idea how to do housekeeping on it.

IMO your first steps are..
    Take it to someone else's house and try and also find another laptop to try at your house.
    That should tell you if it's laptop or broadband related. I suspect its laptop related as everything else in my house is lightening fast.

If you can isolate the laptop then time to pull that apart and find out what's going on.
    Ah but thats just it. Last week we had sky fibre all good - this week we switched to BT.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Same as mine. Are wireless and wired download speeds the same/similar across devices/services/websites?
    Leave wifi to the mrs and kids in my house. My PC is on a wired POE.
    Yes I know there is 'some' overhead even with this but I friggin hate wifi.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What browser? Chrome has a handy thing where the loading icon on each tab turns in different directions which I think indicates whether it's waiting for a response or actually loading the page. Maybe it's the response time to HTTP requests which is slow?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X