• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decorating costs advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decorating costs advice

Just after some advice, I usually get my Dad to do the decorating but decided to get someone in.

Does £2,200 sound high to paint the following...

Hallway,
    Kitchen,
    Living room,
    Office,
    Bedroom.

Includes doors, woodwork and radiators.

The £2,200 excludes materials.

Thanks in advance.

Just painting, or stripping and sanding, etc?

Sounds pretty high to me unless they're very big rooms or you have some ornate work. Did you ask him how many days' work?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The devil really is in the details when it comes to stuff like this. Size of rooms, number of doors, how much skirting is really important. Sanding and painting doors and skirting is a real pain in the arse and if he does it properly can be the big chunk of the work IMO. Rolling some walls is pretty easy in comparison. Is he supplying the paint as well?

Most important thing when you are getting work like this done is get some quotes to compare. The guy could be busy and over egging it to make it a better bet than the next job he has lined up. It could be a genuine quote because of the time and effort required. Get some comparisons to make sure. If there are within 10% or so you have your answer.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Just painting, or stripping and sanding, etc?

Sounds pretty high to me unless they're very big rooms or you have some ornate work. Did you ask him how many days' work?
        They gave an estimate of 9 days work for 2 people, which seemed high to me. Is just painting no stripping, obviously they have prep work on the wood work but nothing major.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          The devil really is in the details when it comes to stuff like this. Size of rooms, number of doors, how much skirting is really important. Sanding and painting doors and skirting is a real pain in the arse and if he does it properly can be the big chunk of the work IMO. Rolling some walls is pretty easy in comparison. Is he supplying the paint as well?

Most important thing when you are getting work like this done is get some quotes to compare. The guy could be busy and over egging it to make it a better bet than the next job he has lined up. It could be a genuine quote because of the time and effort required. Get some comparisons to make sure. If there are within 10% or so you have your answer.
          Paint not included in the quote. The rooms are not huge and yep I guess a light sand of the wood work is required before painting but for two people I don't think it's a huge amount.

The builder that recommended them I have a lot of respect for, quality work and a nice guy. So would really like to use these two (women not men by the way). I've gone back to them for 2k including paint, see what they say.

But yep may have to get some quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            They gave an estimate of 9 days work for 2 people, which seemed high to me. Is just painting no stripping, obviously they have prep work on the wood work but nothing major.
            The quote seems OK for 9 days 2 people, as the going rate for painters is about £100/120pd. I don't believe it's a 9 day job even for 1 man, let alone 2, especially without stripping/sanding, if you had your dad doing it before just ask him how much time it would take him approximately and use it as a reference.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              The quote seems OK for 9 days 2 people, as the going rate for painters is about £100/120pd. I don't believe it's a 9 day job even for 1 man, let alone 2, especially without stripping/sanding, if you had your dad doing it before just ask him how much time it would take him approximately and use it as a reference.
              Great idea about asking my Dad though he takes his time, plus any quote I get for anything he dismisses as being too much. But still I will ask him

Comment

I can do most things around the house excluding gas work but I detest sanding and painting gloss woodwork. It's such a ball ache and a mess if it's not done properly. I'd personally never ask family to do it for fear it's not perfect and in case they say yes because they feel they have to even though they hate it as well. Just MHO.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I can do most things around the house excluding gas work but I detest sanding and painting gloss woodwork. It's such a ball ache and a mess if it's not done properly. I'd personally never ask family to do it for fear it's not perfect and in case they say yes because they feel they have to even though they hate it as well. Just MHO.
                  I quite like sanding and woodwork, I did the floors for the entire house but understand where you are coming from. I would just do it myself but I've got a few other jobs around the house and I'm knackered as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Great idea about asking my Dad though he takes his time, plus any quote I get for anything he dismisses as being too much. But still I will ask him
                    Even better, if he would do it in 10 days taking his time, then surely a pair of professionals asking for 18 mandays is a rip off

Comment

Working...
                    X