• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Decorating costs advice"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    There are two of them and both women. Sexist pig.
    Well there is your answer. It's a good deal cause you'll get your decorating done, house cleaned and can watch a bloody good live show while eating your cooked meal. Cheap at twice the price!!!

It was a joooooooooke. Calm down!!

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    I see nobody has given the standard answer yet.

" You're a contractor FFS. Just give him 4k and get back to your computer. "
    There are two of them and both women. Sexist pig.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    I see nobody has given the standard answer yet.

" You're a contractor FFS. Just give him 4k and get back to your computer. "

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    It does seem high - but the sanding/re doing of the woodwork could be a complete pita

How many doors have you got to do? As it will take half a man day to sand a door properly?

How many feet of skirting board do you have?

What is currently on the skirting board? if it is gloss that may need to be burnt off to get back to the wood.

I would imagine slapping the paint on the walls is only about 4 days of the quote...

But tell us how it works out!
    Doors are relatively new, not much in the way of knocks etc. I can imagine a light sand before painting would be enough. So can't see that being half a days work but I'm crap at DIY.

Anyway, knocked them down to £1900. Still seems high but they come with a good recommendation from someone I trust so going ahead with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    It does seem high - but the sanding/re doing of the woodwork could be a complete pita

How many doors have you got to do? As it will take half a man day to sand a door properly?

How many feet of skirting board do you have?

What is currently on the skirting board? if it is gloss that may need to be burnt off to get back to the wood.

I would imagine slapping the paint on the walls is only about 4 days of the quote...

But tell us how it works out!

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    No mention of VAT on the quote. I think £122 is reasonable, I'm guessing 18 man days though is not.
    Maybe

It really does depend on size of room though. Also if furniture is in the way and needs moving and/or covering up, or if skirting/architrave needs masking. Probably other things i'm not aware of.

It took me almost 1 day to paint our bathroom a short while ago (2 coats).

On the surface, 18 man days does sound a lot, but as others have said it's hard to tell without actually seeing the job.

Only thing I can think of is that you left one of your invoices lying around and the painter saw it and muttered "Hoooowwwwww muuuuccchhh?!?!?" - and thought he'd take you for a ride

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    £122.22 per day, per person

Does that include VAT?
    No mention of VAT on the quote. I think £122 is reasonable, I'm guessing 18 man days though is not.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Does £2,200 sound high <snip>The £2,200 excludes materials
    They gave an estimate of 9 days work for 2 people
    £122.22 per day, per person

Does that include VAT?

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Great idea about asking my Dad though he takes his time, plus any quote I get for anything he dismisses as being too much. But still I will ask him
    Even better, if he would do it in 10 days taking his time, then surely a pair of professionals asking for 18 mandays is a rip off

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I can do most things around the house excluding gas work but I detest sanding and painting gloss woodwork. It's such a ball ache and a mess if it's not done properly. I'd personally never ask family to do it for fear it's not perfect and in case they say yes because they feel they have to even though they hate it as well. Just MHO.
    I quite like sanding and woodwork, I did the floors for the entire house but understand where you are coming from. I would just do it myself but I've got a few other jobs around the house and I'm knackered as it is.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I can do most things around the house excluding gas work but I detest sanding and painting gloss woodwork. It's such a ball ache and a mess if it's not done properly. I'd personally never ask family to do it for fear it's not perfect and in case they say yes because they feel they have to even though they hate it as well. Just MHO.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    The quote seems OK for 9 days 2 people, as the going rate for painters is about £100/120pd. I don't believe it's a 9 day job even for 1 man, let alone 2, especially without stripping/sanding, if you had your dad doing it before just ask him how much time it would take him approximately and use it as a reference.
    Great idea about asking my Dad though he takes his time, plus any quote I get for anything he dismisses as being too much. But still I will ask him

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    They gave an estimate of 9 days work for 2 people, which seemed high to me. Is just painting no stripping, obviously they have prep work on the wood work but nothing major.
    The quote seems OK for 9 days 2 people, as the going rate for painters is about £100/120pd. I don't believe it's a 9 day job even for 1 man, let alone 2, especially without stripping/sanding, if you had your dad doing it before just ask him how much time it would take him approximately and use it as a reference.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The devil really is in the details when it comes to stuff like this. Size of rooms, number of doors, how much skirting is really important. Sanding and painting doors and skirting is a real pain in the arse and if he does it properly can be the big chunk of the work IMO. Rolling some walls is pretty easy in comparison. Is he supplying the paint as well?

Most important thing when you are getting work like this done is get some quotes to compare. The guy could be busy and over egging it to make it a better bet than the next job he has lined up. It could be a genuine quote because of the time and effort required. Get some comparisons to make sure. If there are within 10% or so you have your answer.
    Paint not included in the quote. The rooms are not huge and yep I guess a light sand of the wood work is required before painting but for two people I don't think it's a huge amount.

The builder that recommended them I have a lot of respect for, quality work and a nice guy. So would really like to use these two (women not men by the way). I've gone back to them for 2k including paint, see what they say.

But yep may have to get some quotes.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Just painting, or stripping and sanding, etc?

Sounds pretty high to me unless they're very big rooms or you have some ornate work. Did you ask him how many days' work?
    They gave an estimate of 9 days work for 2 people, which seemed high to me. Is just painting no stripping, obviously they have prep work on the wood work but nothing major.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X