• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decorating costs advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Does £2,200 sound high <snip>The £2,200 excludes materials
    They gave an estimate of 9 days work for 2 people
    £122.22 per day, per person

Does that include VAT?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
      £122.22 per day, per person

Does that include VAT?
      No mention of VAT on the quote. I think £122 is reasonable, I'm guessing 18 man days though is not.

Comment

No mention of VAT on the quote. I think £122 is reasonable, I'm guessing 18 man days though is not.
        Maybe

It really does depend on size of room though. Also if furniture is in the way and needs moving and/or covering up, or if skirting/architrave needs masking. Probably other things i'm not aware of.

It took me almost 1 day to paint our bathroom a short while ago (2 coats).

On the surface, 18 man days does sound a lot, but as others have said it's hard to tell without actually seeing the job.

Only thing I can think of is that you left one of your invoices lying around and the painter saw it and muttered "Hoooowwwwww muuuuccchhh?!?!?" - and thought he'd take you for a ride
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

It does seem high - but the sanding/re doing of the woodwork could be a complete pita

How many doors have you got to do? As it will take half a man day to sand a door properly?

How many feet of skirting board do you have?

What is currently on the skirting board? if it is gloss that may need to be burnt off to get back to the wood.

I would imagine slapping the paint on the walls is only about 4 days of the quote...

But tell us how it works out!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            It does seem high - but the sanding/re doing of the woodwork could be a complete pita

How many doors have you got to do? As it will take half a man day to sand a door properly?

How many feet of skirting board do you have?

What is currently on the skirting board? if it is gloss that may need to be burnt off to get back to the wood.

I would imagine slapping the paint on the walls is only about 4 days of the quote...

But tell us how it works out!
            Doors are relatively new, not much in the way of knocks etc. I can imagine a light sand before painting would be enough. So can't see that being half a days work but I'm crap at DIY.

Anyway, knocked them down to £1900. Still seems high but they come with a good recommendation from someone I trust so going ahead with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Comment

I see nobody has given the standard answer yet.

" You're a contractor FFS. Just give him 4k and get back to your computer. "

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                I see nobody has given the standard answer yet.

" You're a contractor FFS. Just give him 4k and get back to your computer. "
                There are two of them and both women. Sexist pig.

Comment

There are two of them and both women. Sexist pig.
                  Well there is your answer. It's a good deal cause you'll get your decorating done, house cleaned and can watch a bloody good live show while eating your cooked meal. Cheap at twice the price!!!

It was a joooooooooke. Calm down!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X