• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left align or justify for documents.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    If I inherit a document, or share it with someone, I invariably take over and instil my own formatting 'rules'.

Find, Replace all double spaces with single.
    Left justify everything.
    Replace all attempts to embolden with capitalisation with lower-case in bold.
    Insert Page Breaks where they've just hit Return 28 times.

It often ends up with a bit of a ding-dong with someone who has opposing, but equally strong views on any of the above.
    Do you ever get round to doing any work, or just dick about with formatting all day?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Do you ever get round to doing any work, or just dick about with formatting all day?
      I believe they call it "Project Management"

Comment

Left aligned.
        When I have to put command line examples into a doc, if I used justify, then it could cause mayhem. Also, the extra space in a justified line, needlessly requires my eyes to go all the way to the right of the page. (Notice the double spaces after the stops ;-) ).
        Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
          Left aligned.
          When I have to put command line examples into a doc, if I used justify, then it could cause mayhem. Also, the extra space in a justified line, needlessly requires my eyes to go all the way to the right of the page. (Notice the double spaces after the stops ;-) ).
          I would just create a style for code, in the same way you have one for headings.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Pay the man, there is no substitution for a professional advise!
            So I can see
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Indeed, two spaces is a legacy from manual typewriters where kerning was more difficult. Electronic fonts are designed to cater for this so nowadays, there is no need for two.

I remember learning to touch type in the army long ago. When we first started, we had to type 'A sad lad had a salad' fifty times to the tune of Mary had a little lamb (I kid you not, it was played in the background) and at the end of the course we were typing from order sheets to the William Tell Overture at 60wpm.

As for the justifying, if they insist on it just use the biggest words you possibly can and if you have any leeway, make the margins a little bigger too

Comment

Working...
              X