• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left align or justify for documents.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left align or justify for documents.....

Just wondered what people's preference is when creating documents for clients, or in general for that matter.

Never really thought about it before but got a manager at current client that is absolutely insistent that every document is justified to the point of refusing sign off on documentation that isn't. A little over the top but not the issue here..

I can see that a justified doc looks easy on the eye and neat when it initially opens but I find in paragraphs with lots of long words the massive spaces look ridiculous. I just use the standard Align Left.

What about you?

P.S. I did ask my accountant and his response was that this is out of scope of offered services but he can help for a fee......
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Left aligned works for me.

Where do you stand on full stops in presentations?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Left aligned works for me.

Where do you stand on full stops in presentations?
      At the end of sentences and statements or bullet points?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Left justified. It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't (unless it was a book), but that's how I would do it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Justified for me. I can appreciate this guys insistence on having a standard format. Presentation is incredibly important even in technical docs.

Comment

Middle.
            Everything looks so much nicer.
            Don't you agree?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What does your contract say? Have you considered the IR35 implications of using the same document formatting as the permies?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              P.S. I did ask my accountant and his response was that this is out of scope of offered services but he can help for a fee......
              Pay the man, there is no substitution for a professional advise!

I prefer Left align for the same reasons you do. But of course if the ClientCo/Team etc. standard is justified - then i would follow suit.

Comment

Life's too short to follow the crowd.

Do what you want to.

Sometimes I put rude words in docs in 'white' just for fun!

naughty word!

Comment

Nice discussion here. Summary: fully justified text looks better and is easy to read when done properly. MS Word doesn't do it properly, so often ragged right will look better and be easier to read.

Since documentation should be easy to read, the manager is wrong. Since a document that isn't easy to read takes longer to read, and you're more likely to misread it, he's costing the company money, and should be taken out and shot, forthwith.

It's probably a case of managementus incompetentitus. Incompetent managers have a need to feel in control. They can't control anything of any worth or value, so they have to focus on petty details. I bet he's a clock watcher as well, and takes hours carefully checking all expense forms.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Left aligned, every time. I hate these long spaces in the middle of lines of text.

Justified is a misnomer, as it rarely can be.

Comment

Working...
                    X