• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY inkjet cartdridge refills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY inkjet cartdridge refills

Make very little use of a printer and my ancient little Lexmark X1190 is fine for the occasional letter, accounts and footpath map.

Heartbroken today to learn Lexmark has gone out of the market and I can't get a new cartridge. (Except in Smiths at about 40 quid each just for a black one, sod that!). My little Lexmark is my best (only) friend and I love its little Yank voice telling me "Printing started" and "Please load paper in the auto sheet feeder".

Seriously (it was serious, sob!) anyone tried these DIY refiill kits? Any good?

How to Refill and Reuse a Printer Cartridge (with Pictures)
    Last edited by xoggoth; 30 December 2014, 17:52.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Only once, years ago, and I found them to be diabolically tulipe. That said, you don't have too much to lose in trying?

Comment

Too much messing about, not worth the hassle, so I just bought cheap replacements from ebay. Or you could buy a new cheap printer.

Comment

If you google "Lexmark X1190 cartridges" then some online suppliers come up who sell generic replacements that will fit it.

I've always used them for my own printers over the years and they are fine for letters, essays etc. I don't know if they are any good for photo prints as I always use an external print service for photos as it's cheaper.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ebay fooey... Colour Black

Comment

Why do you need ink cartridges if you use a laser printer?

Anyway, you can get them from here :-

Olivetti JP450 inkjet cartridges & paper best prices at IJT Direct

Comment

Cheers. Don't think I'll bother with the refill kit. Found some online cartridges, see if they're ok.

I actually have two other expensive printers (late missus's business) but too darn big and complicated for my limited needs.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've had no end of trouble with every single generic cartridge or re-fill so just don't bother with them anymore. Printers are so cheap no it's just not worth buggering about. I had the same trouble getting ink for my Lexmark as well so just gave it away and bought a new printer for under £300 through the business. Just not worth buggering about with it all IMO.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

We've always bought unofficial cartridges, normally from 7dayshop IIRC and not had problems.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X