• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Recruiter Insisting On Using Own Umbrella Company."

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Delectable View Post
    So I lost that gig and started another one. This new gig is outside IR35. I usually work in local govt so this is a first for me. I've got two quotes from two umbrellas and my take home differs by about £300 weekly.
    I'd still follow malvolio's advice

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Talk to the client? "Would love to join but your agent is making it impossible to do so."
    But say rather "I would have loved to join you, but your agent made it impossible".

With an outside IR35 gig, why go brolly?m

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

How have people lost money by not understanding the holiday umbrella rules?
    Because there is a lot of money to be made by finding means and ways of avoiding paying for it. So much so I've seen "Umbrellas" with clauses where a percentage of unclaimed holiday pay is paid back to the agency.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Have they given you detailed breakdowns? The quotes should be broadly the same if you're not asking for anything fancy. The only difference should be their fee.

One brolly might be giving you an allowance for expenses if they're happy your gig is truly outside but, IIRC, very few do that.

Such a shame to put an outside gig through a brolly.
    Might also be a good idea to compare your payslips to your personal tax account at HMRC.gov.uk and ensure they agree. £300 is worryingly large difference...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    So I lost that gig and started another one. This new gig is outside IR35. I usually work in local govt so this is a first for me. I've got two quotes from two umbrellas and my take home differs by about £300 weekly.
    Have they given you detailed breakdowns? The quotes should be broadly the same if you're not asking for anything fancy. The only difference should be their fee.

One brolly might be giving you an allowance for expenses if they're happy your gig is truly outside but, IIRC, very few do that.

Such a shame to put an outside gig through a brolly.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Because they don't read the small print and don't realise that they may have to specifically claim back the deductions taken against holiday pay, sometimes within a certain time frame, when the wind is blowing east on a full moon.

Just make sure that whatever brolly you choose you understand what their process is.

Leave a comment:

• Delectable
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Delectable
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    eek's point about holiday pay is a good one - too many people have lost money because they didn't understand the umbrella's rules about that.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Glad to see you make an impression

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

Maybe, but I wouldn’t trust any company with only £1 on their balance sheet.
    Everyone has to start somewhere..

and remember what my new day job is…

oh and the new FCSA chair (don’t think he’s announced yet) wasn’t happy when he discovered I’m still around to pull him up on things
    Last edited by eek; 6 December 2021, 23:03.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I would go the opposite way - Big Fish use Octopaye which I would trust rather than than JSA's internal systems - one of the multiple checks I have is how is payroll run and if it's a 3rd party supplier I would trust it way more than any internal system.

end of the day - I would pick the firm that:

1) pays holiday pay in advance as the agency pays the umbrella
    2) does your pension how you want
    3) the one you like more on the phone.
    Maybe, but I wouldn’t trust any company with only £1 on their balance sheet.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    eek's point about holiday pay is a good one - too many people have lost money because they didn't understand the umbrella's rules about that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I would go the opposite way - Big Fish use Octopaye which I would trust rather than than JSA's internal systems - one of the multiple checks I have is how is payroll run and if it's a 3rd party supplier I would trust it way more than any internal system.

end of the day - I would pick the firm that:

1) uses a third party software package that is used by multiple firms (JustAccounts, Octopaye, Flexr, can't remember the others offhand)
    2) pays holiday pay in advance as the agency pays the umbrella
    3) does your pension how you want
    4) the one you like more on the phone.
    Last edited by eek; 9 December 2021, 08:10.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Looking at the company accounts I would go with JSA I you want to accept the contract. Big Fish only has £1 on their accounts sheet until they put in their accounts at the end of the month.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's not illegal for a company to have a preferred supplier list, which is what they're enforcing here. The way they're going about it is pretty nasty though.

If you want to take the gig, you should do due diligence on both and pick the one that is the least worst. If you can afford to walk away, that's your only other option sadly.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Talk to the client? "Would love to join but your agent is making it impossible to do so."
    Not going to work - as the agency will just say it’s not worth the risk.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X