• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Am i costing myself money"

Collapse

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    That's The Ritz isn't it?
    Yeah, you're right. Merde.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Make sure you also claim for the flat rate meal allowance of £5/£10/£15 if you are travelling on business and you have incurred an expense for food (however small the expense was) because this reduces your tax too.
    Really? For a routine journey to your normal work location not involving an overnight stay (or, at least a very long day)?

Leave a comment:

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    The downside is the courtesy car service is run by a pisshead in a very ropey old merc.
    That's The Ritz isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    If you're going to do it properly you get a suite at the George Cinq and then get flown to the gig each day by private helicopter
    The downside is the courtesy car service is run by a pisshead in a very ropey old merc.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Travelling 1st class isn't always best

Robbery in first class train thief threatens businessman and escapes with laptop and cash - News - London Evening Standard

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Is there any problem getting them to invoice you directly? After all aren't umbrella's supposed to make things easier.
    We certainly are here to make things easier but I'm afraid I do draw the line at financing luxury business trips

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    If you're going to do it properly you get a suite at the George Cinq and then get flown to the gig each day by private helicopter
    Is there any problem getting them to invoice you directly? After all aren't umbrella's supposed to make things easier.
    Last edited by eek; 15 July 2014, 16:13.

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied
    Where can I get one of these bank accounts that gives me imaginary money to fund lavish expenses and reduce my tax burden?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Bloody show off

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Bloody show off

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's a classic!!

I would hate to see your LTD's books if that's your understanding. Hope you haven't been booking rooms at the Dorchester as well!!

This isn't a journey you have been doing for over 2 years is it?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Should i be actually be getting the most expensive ticket therefore giving myself largest expenses and better Tax Relief.
    That's a classic!!

I would hate to see your LTD's books if that's your understanding. Hope you haven't been booking rooms at the Dorchester as well!!

This isn't a journey you have been doing for over 2 years is it?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    You should also bear in mind that, if you are using an umbrella company 'temporarily' and it will only be for a single assignment you will have no entitlement to tax relief on travel costs anyway

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Make sure you also claim for the flat rate meal allowance of £5/£10/£15 if you are travelling on business and you have incurred an expense for food (however small the expense was) because this reduces your tax too.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorUK99 View Post
    Previous have been through a Limited Company but am temporarily using an Umbrella

I currently travel from London to North by Train weekly and stay away.

I have been travelling standard class and been using discount websites to get train tickets as cheap as possible.

However i am not sure what happens in regards to Tax am i actually costing myself money here?

Should i be actually be getting the most expensive ticket therefore giving myself largest expenses and better Tax Relief.

I thought that at the end of the day i would receive relief on the expenses but it wouldnt affect my take-home pay. It would just be claimed back out of the same pot and therefore if i spent more it would come out of my money once all calculated?

Thanks
    Think of it as you are getting a percentage discount on every rail ticket. First class ticket will still cost more than standard class but only you can decide if it's worth it.

It's kind of answered here already:
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1956981

Leave a comment:

Working...
X