• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am i costing myself money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am i costing myself money

Previous have been through a Limited Company but am temporarily using an Umbrella

I currently travel from London to North by Train weekly and stay away.

I have been travelling standard class and been using discount websites to get train tickets as cheap as possible.

However i am not sure what happens in regards to Tax am i actually costing myself money here?

Should i be actually be getting the most expensive ticket therefore giving myself largest expenses and better Tax Relief.

I thought that at the end of the day i would receive relief on the expenses but it wouldnt affect my take-home pay. It would just be claimed back out of the same pot and therefore if i spent more it would come out of my money once all calculated?

Thanks

The more money you spend as expenses, the less money can be paid out as income.

Why not try first class travel and see what impact that has on your take home pay?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You're still paying for the ticket, so buying something more expensive may result in less tax but also less income.

In a very simple example to show how it works:

Say you have income of £100.
      Buy a train ticket for £20 and you have £80 left. You'll pay tax on that £80 at say 20% = £64 in your pocket
      Buy a ticket for £40 and you'll have £60 left. You'll pay tax on that £60 at say 20% = £48 in your pocket

You have paid £4 less in tax, but your overall income is less because the ticket was more expensive.

In other words don't spend more money to save tax, it doesn't save you money overall.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorUK99 View Post
        Previous have been through a Limited Company but am temporarily using an Umbrella

I currently travel from London to North by Train weekly and stay away.

I have been travelling standard class and been using discount websites to get train tickets as cheap as possible.

However i am not sure what happens in regards to Tax am i actually costing myself money here?

Should i be actually be getting the most expensive ticket therefore giving myself largest expenses and better Tax Relief.

I thought that at the end of the day i would receive relief on the expenses but it wouldnt affect my take-home pay. It would just be claimed back out of the same pot and therefore if i spent more it would come out of my money once all calculated?

Thanks
        Think of it as you are getting a percentage discount on every rail ticket. First class ticket will still cost more than standard class but only you can decide if it's worth it.

It's kind of answered here already:
        http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1956981

Comment

Make sure you also claim for the flat rate meal allowance of £5/£10/£15 if you are travelling on business and you have incurred an expense for food (however small the expense was) because this reduces your tax too.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

You should also bear in mind that, if you are using an umbrella company 'temporarily' and it will only be for a single assignment you will have no entitlement to tax relief on travel costs anyway
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

That's a classic!!

I would hate to see your LTD's books if that's your understanding. Hope you haven't been booking rooms at the Dorchester as well!!

This isn't a journey you have been doing for over 2 years is it?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                That's a classic!!

I would hate to see your LTD's books if that's your understanding. Hope you haven't been booking rooms at the Dorchester as well!!

This isn't a journey you have been doing for over 2 years is it?
                If you're going to do it properly you get a suite at the George Cinq and then get flown to the gig each day by private helicopter

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  If you're going to do it properly you get a suite at the George Cinq and then get flown to the gig each day by private helicopter
                  Bloody show off
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Bloody show off

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X