• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The most useful tools thread"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Erro.rs captures javascript errors from browsers and reports on them allowing them to be investigated.

I will admit to a slight bias here its plan c which we've been using for a couple of years and we've just finished productising for general use.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    PFE, Notepad++,Multipad, Textpad,Windiff - most will be familiar with those. Other really good free ones:

InfoRapid Search and Replace - can do multiple replaces in various files, either choose or do all.

Webmatrix - Microsoft tool. Set up website pointer to your site, click on any file to edit. Shows all your HTML errors. There are various add ins, some free, some not, that let you see how a page looks in all browsers/different versions, iPads etc.

Anything. File search that uses existing hard disc index, find any file in under a second.

Apart from those I make my own things in Excel, VB.net or or VB6 which still works great in Win7 if you open as admin.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Things I'd install as standard include Notepad++, FileZilla (FTP) and TortoiseSVN.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    The most useful tools thread

Clientco is locked down like mad - no google apps or mail or any web mail or even forums inc valid ones.

So I slapped OSGD (formerly Tarantella) on a VM at home, ran it on port 443 and get what I need that way.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    Not a freebie, but Beyond Compare has saved my sanity more than once - compares content or file structures and allows you to update and downdate (a word I have just made up meaning deleting a deployed item...)

Is UltraCompare a similar thing?
    Yes it is, I have used Beyond before but am an Ultra convert in the main.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Couldn't live without UltraEdit and UltraCompare.
    Not a freebie, but Beyond Compare has saved my sanity more than once - compares content or file structures and allows you to update and downdate (a word I have just made up meaning deleting a deployed item...)

Is UltraCompare a similar thing?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Couldn't live without UltraEdit and UltraCompare.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Midnight Commander for Win. One of the first tools I install on a Linux box.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Handy when you've just built a new Windows machine.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    The most useful tools thread

Xming

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    MouseJiggler- keeps those remote sessions alive. Very useful when WFH.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I find MarillionFan is quite useful....

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Paint.net - I never have much use for photoshop capabilities to it's good to have a free alternative for when I do

Sublime text editor - Thew new hip text editor (it's worth using for the features)

Ultramon - spreads the task bar across multiple monitors in windows XP, Vista and 7

ZipGenius - Free alternative to winzip and winrar (I've only used this for a couple of months but it seems to be going ok!)

StartisBack - vital for windows 8

ServiceManagerTray - Allows services to be controlled quickly from the task tray

BIDSHelper - If you use visual studio for SSIS/SSRS/SSAS then it adds a lot of extra functionality

TheRenamer - TV show file renamer

Filezilla - FTP client

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    PDFCreator - print to PDF from any application. I like the 'wait' feature that allows successive prints to be collected into a single PDF. It's open source but stay alert during the install process which by default wants to install adware, toolbars etc. - the only bit you need is PDF Creator.

HashTab - Adds an extra tab to the Windows explorer file properties dialog to show the MD5 hash, CRC etc., of a file when right-clicking on it. For techies and PMs alike, if you have ever looked at file-size and date-stamp as a way to validate files then you need this instead.

Proggy Programming Fonts - Nice tidy fonts for use in your text editor of choice.

And lastly, Cygwin and GNU Emacs for actually getting stuff done.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Far Manager Official Site : main

Leave a comment:

Working...
X