• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The most useful tools thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most useful tools thread

Delighted as I've been to have received help (and given some), I thought a thread where we could highlight some useful tools / apps / whatever might be appropriate.

Need to get rid of passwords on Win boxes? System Rescue CD does that job as well as many other useful functions.

Lavalys system info if you need to identify hardware and drivers.

Any other tips, tricks, apps?
    Me, me, me...

Treesize for scanning volumes to find out whats sucking up all the free space
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Treesize for scanning volumes to find out whats sucking up all the free space
      Ooh, forgot about that one.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Notepad++ and firewall builder get my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Ooh, forgot about that one.
          I have managed to keep an older version from before they limited the free one to not scan network drives

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Delighted as I've been to have received help (and given some), I thought a thread where we could highlight some useful tools / apps / whatever might be appropriate.

Need to get rid of passwords on Win boxes? System Rescue CD does that job as well as many other useful functions.

Lavalys system info if you need to identify hardware and drivers.

Any other tips, tricks, apps?
            http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html is good if you want a quick freebie view of your system

Comment

Far Manager Official Site : main

Comment

PDFCreator - print to PDF from any application. I like the 'wait' feature that allows successive prints to be collected into a single PDF. It's open source but stay alert during the install process which by default wants to install adware, toolbars etc. - the only bit you need is PDF Creator.

HashTab - Adds an extra tab to the Windows explorer file properties dialog to show the MD5 hash, CRC etc., of a file when right-clicking on it. For techies and PMs alike, if you have ever looked at file-size and date-stamp as a way to validate files then you need this instead.

Proggy Programming Fonts - Nice tidy fonts for use in your text editor of choice.

And lastly, Cygwin and GNU Emacs for actually getting stuff done.

Comment

Paint.net - I never have much use for photoshop capabilities to it's good to have a free alternative for when I do

Sublime text editor - Thew new hip text editor (it's worth using for the features)

Ultramon - spreads the task bar across multiple monitors in windows XP, Vista and 7

ZipGenius - Free alternative to winzip and winrar (I've only used this for a couple of months but it seems to be going ok!)

StartisBack - vital for windows 8

ServiceManagerTray - Allows services to be controlled quickly from the task tray

BIDSHelper - If you use visual studio for SSIS/SSRS/SSAS then it adds a lot of extra functionality

TheRenamer - TV show file renamer

Filezilla - FTP client
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

I find MarillionFan is quite useful....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X