• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Developer Laptop

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Developer Laptop"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
    Decided on the XPS 15 L521x, it has full HD 15 inch screen. 8GB upgrdable to 16 and you can upgrde the 32GB SSD to 256GB, comes in just above a grand.
    What put me off the previous generation XPS15 (and this one is the same) is the silly half sized cursor keys, obviously copied from you know who with their style over function mantra. If you spend your days editing code, you use the cursor keys a lot (or at least I do), and I think that would annoy me.

Which is why I bought the previous-previous XPS15 (L520x), even though it's somewhat bulky by modern standards. It is however, very fast, but of course not buying the latest meant I was able to get an i7 + SSD for my £600.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Thanks will try that. Did you have any issue with your wifi driver? I got the august 2012 update and it stopped working. Using the 2011 version.

Will check the RAM as well. Edit: crucial is saying the max memory for T420s is 8GB.

qh
    I haven't updated any of the drivers since I got it TBH.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Thanks will try that. Did you have any issue with your wifi driver? I got the august 2012 update and it stopped working. Using the 2011 version.

Will check the RAM as well. Edit: crucial is saying the max memory for T420s is 8GB.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 14 December 2012, 23:33. Reason: added a bit

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    16GB RAM? I thought the limit was 8GB? Yes the screen isn't the best but I wfh a bit and use a bigger monitor. What tweaks did you do? I find that any extras you want Lenovo like to charge you through the nose for it, so easier to buy afterwards. However the ThinkVantage bloatware keeps on asking to do a system hardware check, I wonder if it will see the extra RAM and invalidate my warranty? Paranoid, moi?

qh
    Not sure what it says on the spec sheet but it will take 2 x 8GB modules from Crucial etc. I always buy aftermarket RAM & SSDs.

Display tweaks were in the graphics properties "color enhancement" page

brightness -13
    contrast 51
    gamma 0.9
    hue & saturation 0

Leave a comment:

• LatteLiberal
    replied
    Decided on the XPS 15 L521x, it has full HD 15 inch screen. 8GB upgrdable to 16 and you can upgrde the 32GB SSD to 256GB, comes in just above a grand.

Leave a comment:

• LatteLiberal
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I have a Dell XPS 15, 512Gb SSD, 8Gb Ram, Intel I7, Nvidia GPU 1920x1080 Full HD screen.

Lovely kit.
    How much did this cost?

I am looking at spending 1k max. I want 15 inch HD, decided against touchscreen, want SSD or option to upgrade and min 4GB ram but upgradable.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I have one of these with 16GB and a crucial M4 512MB in it, it's more than capable of everything I've thrown at it although it has to be said the screen isn't the best you'll see. It was awful until I did a bit of tweaking of the settings, now it's passable but still not a patch on my previous T500. I'd take a look at the T530 TBH.
    16GB RAM? I thought the limit was 8GB? Yes the screen isn't the best but I wfh a bit and use a bigger monitor. What tweaks did you do? I find that any extras you want Lenovo like to charge you through the nose for it, so easier to buy afterwards. However the ThinkVantage bloatware keeps on asking to do a system hardware check, I wonder if it will see the extra RAM and invalidate my warranty? Paranoid, moi?

qh

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    DO you have paint bleeding from your finger tips? I use the ipad and iphone for weeks without wiping it and it never becoming unreadable.
    Try looking at your iPad from an angle. Mine looks as clean as anything in normal use, but is actually as smeary as ****, for whatever reason smudges only show up from an angle.

I'd be worried that you view a laptop screen from a greater range of angles, though I haven't had the chance to test this theory.

Leave a comment:

• LatteLiberal
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    and be prepared for finger prints making the screen unreadable.
    DO you have paint bleeding from your finger tips? I use the ipad and iphone for weeks without wiping it and it never becoming unreadable.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    yes be prepared, use screen wipes once a week. Perhaps twice a week.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    did you upgrade the memory yourself or do they let you configure up to that amount?
    Lenovo will let you upgrade it to that amount but it's better to buy it afterwards from Cruicial or somewhere like that.

I have a W530 as well but the dual core i5 version with 16GB RAM (Quad Core goes to 32GB) as I don't need to run too many VMs (only two at any one time) so decided to save a little cash. I went for the W530 because I wanted a more powerful GPU than the T530 (K2000M).

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    If you want touch I'd wait a few months until it becomes more common.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you want touch I'd wait a few months until it becomes more common.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Touch screen?
    No, didn't see you mentioned it on your requirements list and I'm not telepathic.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    did you upgrade the memory yourself or do they let you configure up to that amount?
    Don't know about other's experiences..but it often works out cheaper to upgrade the memory yourself. I think a 4GB DDR3 stick is like £15

Leave a comment:

Working...
X