• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New phone recommendations"

Collapse

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Can't fault the reviews on it but I've been burnt changing models in the past so I wouldn't be brave enough to try it to be honest.

Interesting these reviews talk so much about the back and build materials when next to no one uses them without a case. Those that do, from what I see out and about, have completely knackered back and front so can't enjoy the lovely finish they talk about anyway. Never quite understood why someone doesn't do a phone with a particularly dull but sides and back that's designed with the fact everyone will use a case and save some pennies. But then I'm old.
    Agree with this, no idea what Gorilla glass on the back is something good. You are either going to put a case on it, or end up with cracked glass on the back.

Thanks all, I went with the Pixel 6 in the end. Was meant to come last week but delays with handsets mean it will be mid feb. Not too bad of a wait.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post

A few weeks ago I bought a One Plus Nord 2. I cannot fault it. Be aware when shopping around that some sellers might be offering the previous generation One Plus Nord. Nothing wrong with it, but be aware it's a previous generation device.

The Nord 2 is what I am using and am very happy indeed with it.
    Can't fault the reviews on it but I've been burnt changing models in the past so I wouldn't be brave enough to try it to be honest.

Interesting these reviews talk so much about the back and build materials when next to no one uses them without a case. Those that do, from what I see out and about, have completely knackered back and front so can't enjoy the lovely finish they talk about anyway. Never quite understood why someone doesn't do a phone with a particularly dull but sides and back that's designed with the fact everyone will use a case and save some pennies. But then I'm old.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I used to have Samsungs and then switched to the Pixel a few years ago. I currently have the Pixel 5 and it's been plenty good enough for what I use it for. I don't have anything against the Samsung (a friend of mine swears by them) but I just wanted a phone without a manufacturer's interpretation of the OS.

Apparently the OnePlus is very good too. Not personally tried it but have heard good reports from people who have.
    A few weeks ago I bought a One Plus Nord 2. I cannot fault it. Be aware when shopping around that some sellers might be offering the previous generation One Plus Nord. Nothing wrong with it, but be aware it's a previous generation device.

The Nord 2 is what I am using and am very happy indeed with it.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Under £50

Perfect!

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...-j8-smartphone

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    Let me know if you want to know from which seller I bought the phone as there are many sellers.
    No thanks. Sounds like a complete bear pit and getting a genuine phone is more by luck than design so I'll just not bother with it thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I used to have Samsungs and then switched to the Pixel a few years ago. I currently have the Pixel 5 and it's been plenty good enough for what I use it for. I don't have anything against the Samsung (a friend of mine swears by them) but I just wanted a phone without a manufacturer's interpretation of the OS.

Apparently the OnePlus is very good too. Not personally tried it but have heard good reports from people who have.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

What is the crack with that Onbuy? I see it popping up in the shopping recommendations in google but it's usually so low I assumed it was a fake or chinese supplied site so never looked. Far too cheap to trust so always scrolled past.
    You are right. I assumed the same as the price factor was unbelievably low. The sellers seem to be reliable based on my first time experience, at least in my case. There's a site/app where you can check if a phone is fake or stolen etc. I did necessary checks and it came out to be genuine. Return address was also within UK. Above all, site uses Paypal to provide 180 days buyer protection. So I went with it.

Let me know if you want to know from which seller I bought the phone as there are many sellers.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    Last month I bought a brand new Samsung S10+ (S10 plus) dual sim at a much much cheaper price for my daughter. I had my doubts and was sceptical ordering through OnBuy as I have never used them. But Amazon price was almost double the price of what I paid. One particular seller had good review and they are good indeed. Brand new phone (not fake, not stolen).
    What is the crack with that Onbuy? I see it popping up in the shopping recommendations in google but it's usually so low I assumed it was a fake or chinese supplied site so never looked. Far too cheap to trust so always scrolled past.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Samsung all the way for me. Had them since the S4 and they've never missed a beat. Last long enough to skip models as well. Currently on an S9 and can't see why I need to pay 1k for another. If I did I know it would last me another four or five years.

That said I'd never pay that for a phone. If I do need to upgrade I'd be torn between two of the suggestions already made. Get the previous version cheaper, like S10 or go for one the A versions. Got the A42 for the misus and it does everything she or I would need for under £350

I can't be arse chasing high end phones for a grand a time anymore.

The one time I've left Samsung I went for the that one with the metal back that was curved rather than flat. Forget what it was called but by god it was crap so straight back to Samsung.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm quite interested in the Pixel but mainly from the camera, erm, angle which might necessitate the Pro and I doubt I want to pay that much.
    I've been a One+ user since I switched from Lumia (1+3 I think, now on the 1+6+). The "flagship killer" thing is long gone with their phones now costing as much as others, they have launched a lower-tier range now as a flag-ship killer which presumably tries to kill off their own premium range!? I have found the 1+ somewhat quirky over the years, generally great but the odd bug specific to OxygenOS which us irritating.

Did Nokia's foray into Android peter out? They got a good reception initially.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I have the Note 20 Ultra. Haven't anything to complain about. The pen has been very useful for making notes and drawing things on top of photos - great for when I am designed things for houses like wardrobes or wiring or room layouts and floorplans etc.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Got a Pixel 4A, excellent. Assume 6 will be as good but bigger.

PS Er, but seem to be some moans on Google.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Last month I bought a brand new Samsung S10+ (S10 plus) dual sim at a much much cheaper price for my daughter. I had my doubts and was sceptical ordering through OnBuy as I have never used them. But Amazon price was almost double the price of what I paid. One particular seller had good review and they are good indeed. Brand new phone (not fake, not stolen).

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    I got a Samsung A22 £200, it's ok, dual sim, 5g, battery last all day with bluetooth streaming internet radio, GPS, usual stuff. It's just a largish phone, but cheap.

Leave a comment:

• kloos
    replied
    I have a Xiaomi Mi which is a couple of years old and holding steady. You have to get used to the very heavily skinned andoid launcher that Xiaomi put on their phones called MIUI, but I actually like MIUI so am happy to stay with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X