• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Order at table send to kitchen app"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Everything is dirty. It's in the nature of things. Wash your hands afterwards, as you should do before eating anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm glad you like them. I won't be touching them.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/28/poo-f...ested-8178486/
    Your link went squirly

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Not bad if you want to cut out the human element entirely. I've been impressed with the new touch-screen menu thingies in McDonalds too - largely they work as you'd expect unlike for instance self-serve supermarket checkouts.
    I'm glad you like them. I won't be touching them.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The First lounge at LHR T5 has a similar thing. Their QR codes include the table number so there's no risk of a typo. In some ways the order by app and table service is better but in other ways, it's annoying because you can't select just the sandwiches you like from the afternoon tea selection. It's also a bit discriminatory against folk who don't have smartphones.
    Not bad if you want to cut out the human element entirely. I've been impressed with the new touch-screen menu thingies in McDonalds too - largely they work as you'd expect unlike for instance self-serve supermarket checkouts.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by maxthecontractor

I agree with this. Therefore, you should use Asana which has plenty of checklists and features (such as editing orders or adding customization) that update in real time. It's a good project management tool, not just for restaurants, but also for all kinds of businesses.

However, if you want one for restaurant staff specifically, then I suggest BevSpot because it also takes into account your kitchen and bar inventory. I've also had a good experience with Chowly. It's a combination of third-party ordering platforms like Grubhub with a traditional P.O.S. system.

Here's a website that has more productivity apps for your restaurant.
    Please don't 'help' any of my local small restaurants like this.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
    A restaurant near me has this set up.
    On each table is a QR code, scan this and it takes you to a website, put in your table number and then order your food and pay.
    It works really well.
    I believe they use this: https://www.omnifi.co.uk/

The First lounge at LHR T5 has a similar thing. Their QR codes include the table number so there's no risk of a typo. In some ways the order by app and table service is better but in other ways, it's annoying because you can't select just the sandwiches you like from the afternoon tea selection. It's also a bit discriminatory against folk who don't have smartphones.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I spent a good 30s trying to scan into a bar with the test'n'trace app the other week, before realising it was a QR code for something like that

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    A restaurant near me has this set up.
    On each table is a QR code, scan this and it takes you to a website, put in your table number and then order your food and pay.
    It works really well.
    I believe they use this: https://www.omnifi.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Vacuum tubes!
    Two cups and a bit of string?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It seems the problem is people having to traipse upstairs/downstairs with tickets.
    So could we find a simpler way to remove that step like an intercom/couple of walkie-talkies? Keep the same low-tech process they already know...
    Vacuum tubes!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It seems the problem is people having to traipse upstairs/downstairs with tickets.
    So could we find a simpler way to remove that step like an intercom/couple of walkie-talkies? Keep the same low-tech process they already know...

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    In the absence of an alternative app, couldn't they use something like Trello creating a workspace & using kanban?
    Orders received, orders in progress, orders completed, bill paid, kinda thing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

I can see that getting quite messy when its busy. You want to be able to select options quickly, not be typing lots of text.
    Have you watched people use a system where everything is pre-setup and they're unfamiliar? Fumbling around under pressure "how do I add chips?"

Writing down orders has historically worked quite well and allows customisation and annotation. KISS.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

It's more complicated than that, it needs to be a workflow process so they know what they are working on in which order, what's been done and be able to refer back in case of incorrect orders. it also needs to work on devices that can be readily used in the kitchen or print out the orders in the kitchen to feed the existing paper based process.
    Yep - it's the perfect example of something that looks really, really simple but rapidly becomes very complex as you start to look at edge user stories (item not available, person can't spell / autocorrect makes things worse)... And at that point the cost of implementing it is such that no cafe would buy it.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by PartOfTheUnion View Post
    Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter? It's just a messaging task. Create a whatsapp group for the waiter and the kitchen staff.
    It's more complicated than that, it needs to be a workflow process so they know what they are working on in which order, what's been done and be able to refer back in case of incorrect orders. it also needs to work on devices that can be readily used in the kitchen or print out the orders in the kitchen to feed the existing paper based process.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X