• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Visio in Teams

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Visio in Teams"

Collapse

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Just to update from yesterday. Yes it worked fine & dandy, no lag, no stutter...was using cross-functional (swimlane) maps utilising BPMN.
    Have it open on your desktop, point Teams to it, go full screen, no problem.
    Only issue I did have was with Visio generally at the start (but luckily prior to the meeting), which was making my laptop screen go black - not sure what the issue was at the time.
    The cure is, make sure you go into File/Options/Advanced, scroll down to Display, and make sure you tick 'Disable hardware graphics acceleration'. Crack on.

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    ^ Is the correct answer.

I'll be testing it tomorrow in a couple of teams meetings, so I'll report back. Someone might find the info of value.
    I use Visio to draft processes off line, I don't use Visio to participate (and draw) online whilst on teams, but I do use pdf versions of the viso diagrams distributed to each and allow the participants to annotate their copies if they require, I also walk through the pdf's online with them and annotate my master copy

Mural is ok, but the lag and zoom and changes can be frustrating, and it's not that great for complex processes, great for stickies, retro's and voting

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    au contraire. It's very much part of O365. Just not included in a basic (or premium) Office license.
    ^ Is the correct answer.

I'll be testing it tomorrow in a couple of teams meetings, so I'll report back. Someone might find the info of value.
    Last edited by SteelyDan; 2 February 2021, 17:38.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Visio isn't part of Office 365 so you can't really use it for collaborative work like you can with word/excel/powerpoint.
    au contraire. It's very much part of O365. Just not included in a basic (or premium) Office license.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I don't use Visio - far too expensive. I use EdrawMax for my process drawing (I use Sparx EA for my own use but the diagrams aren't sexy enough for the current client).

I have Whiteboard on my iPad and I would like to use that with Teams (using a stylus), but I'm not sure that I could have the same session on the laptop and iPad together.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Visio isn't part of Office 365 so you can't really use it for collaborative work like you can with word/excel/powerpoint.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The new BA at ClientCo was singing the praises of Mural last week as we struggled to use the MS Whiteboard.
    I've been using mural for years, would recommend

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    My current client uses Mural (even though they have teams). Its collaborative white-boarding is pretty good - we've had a few dozen people use it at the same time for planning sessions.
    The new BA at ClientCo was singing the praises of Mural last week as we struggled to use the MS Whiteboard.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    What the cat said.

The stencils for Azure in daraw.io are the best I have found.
    My current client uses Mural (even though they have teams). Its collaborative white-boarding is pretty good - we've had a few dozen people use it at the same time for planning sessions.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
    I am pretty pleased with Miro. Otherwise draw.io as someone else said
    What the cat said.

The stencils for Azure in daraw.io are the best I have found.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I really haven't managed a live 'whiteboard'/idea generation workshop with Teams yet.

The best I've managed is to create use cases/story maps in Excel with users, then create my processes off-line and then take copious notes as people review them.

This part of remote working really is pants.
    Excel will be my back-up plan if things go belly up, & like you say, create final versions off-line in Visio.
    The whiteboard feature, as far as I'm aware (haven't used it) requires a digital pen (I don't have one) & without this, apparently it's a complete waste of time trying to utilise with a mouse.
    I once witnessed someone doing a session on some large fancy digital screen using Teams (& its own digital 'pens'); after the session the person emailed it to herself, but when it came through it was corrupted & unusable. Gotta love technology when things like that happen, eh?

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    I am pretty pleased with Miro. Otherwise draw.io as someone else said

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I really haven't managed a live 'whiteboard'/idea generation workshop with Teams yet.

The best I've managed is to create use cases/story maps in Excel with users, then create my processes off-line and then take copious notes as people review them.

This part of remote working really is pants.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    If you have the option give draw.io a spin.
    Its a really good online Visio alternative.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Teams is a memory hog.
    Visio is a CPU and memory hog.
    Sound like you ran out of hog food...

They should work just fine.
    But... try Whiteboard. It is designed as a Teams component and lets you do all the crayoning you want without having to faff with Visio's 'features'.
    Whiteboard is a load of crap, awful.

If you're willing/able to shell out on a license (not sure of the cost) give stormboard a try.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X