• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Partially blocked microbore C/H"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Short of replacing all the microbore with 15mm...

It's probably worth shoving some cleaner in now and again, and making sure the system is always well dosed with inhibitor. I think there are also some filter devices you can install which are supposed to trap sludge.
    Yep, magnetic filters. Well worth fitting in your case as they will catch the rust particles and sludge from the radiators so you can periodically remove and clean them. I'd remove the radiators in turn, flushing them out to remove the worst of the crap before refitting. Flush the system as thoroughly as you can to clear the pipes afterwards, then run cleaner through it and fit the filters. Run the heating for a while every day to begin with to encourage the remaining muck to circulate and the filter to catch it on the way past.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    So next question - how do you fix things so it doesn't occur again?
    Short of replacing all the microbore with 15mm...

It's probably worth shoving some cleaner in now and again, and making sure the system is always well dosed with inhibitor. I think there are also some filter devices you can install which are supposed to trap sludge.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I cobbled together a connector so I could attach a car foot pump to the flow pipe.

It was a bit squeaky bum as I increased the pressure higher and higher but the blockage finally gave way at 5 bar (70 psi).
    So next question - how do you fix things so it doesn't occur again?

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Sorted

I cobbled together a connector so I could attach a car foot pump to the flow pipe.

It was a bit squeaky bum as I increased the pressure higher and higher but the blockage finally gave way at 5 bar (70 psi).

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Partially blocked microbore C/H
    I took some syrup of figs and I'm fine now.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    If you were thinking of moving house, now might be a good time to consider it.
    Yes, and moving house would probably be less disruptive than replacing all the crappy microbore. Most of it is downstairs and buried in the concrete slab.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    If you were thinking of moving house, now might be a good time to consider it.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Have you asked your accountant?
    You mean the one who installed the C/H?

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Any suggestions of things to try?
    Have you asked your accountant?

Someone had to say it

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Therein lies another problem.

The muppet who installed the C/H used very long lengths of microbore. (It's usually recommended, with microbore, that you don't have radiators more than a couple of metres from a manifold.) One of our radiators is so far from the manifold, it takes about 1/2 hour to heat up.

The blocked radiator is about 10m from the manifold with what I'm guessing are quite a few elbow joints inbetween. It might be possible to rod the pipe but it wouldn't be easy.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Do you know where the manifold is located?

Is there any possibility of using a flexible rod (maybe something like a net curtain wire) to "tickle" the blockage before using a chemical cleaner on that run of pipe?

Microbore is the Devil's work; you have my sympathies.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Yes, I mentioned power flushing to our plumber and he said it would probably be a waste of time and money with microbore.

The problem doesn't appear to be in the radiator itself but in the flow pipe to it. The plumber reckons the blockage will probably be at the manifold where the pipework reduces from 22mm down to 10mm. Unfortunately, getting to that would mean ripping the floor up.
    Do you know where that is? If it's reasonably close, as a last resort before lifting the floor you could drain the system and try inserting a flexible rod at the radiator valve and shoving it through the pipe to the manifold and hoping you can disrupt the blockage enough to be able to flush it through.

RS PRO Wire Pipe Cleaner for use with Clearing Sink; Bath & Shower Waste Pipes | RS Components

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Yes, I mentioned power flushing to our plumber and he said it would probably be a waste of time and money with microbore.

The problem doesn't appear to be in the radiator itself but in the flow pipe to it. The plumber reckons the blockage will probably be at the manifold where the pipework reduces from 22mm down to 10mm. Unfortunately, getting to that would mean ripping the floor up.
    Yep, unfortunately that might be the only fix, ripping up the floor boards to reach the pipework and manifold.

I would try a powerflush before resorting to this, it might remove the blockage. I would replace the radiators if they are very old and corroded.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by foxyy View Post
    Empty the contents of the radiator or just buy a new radiator as they are pretty cheap. If you've got too much sludge located in that one radiator.

I wouldn't do a power flush using microboar especially that narrow, could cause bigger problems.

Have you got a magnetic filter which should indicate the level of general sludge in the system?

Leave a comment:

• foxyy
    replied
    Empty the contents of the radiator or just buy a new radiator as they are pretty cheap. If you've got too much sludge located in that one radiator.

I wouldn't do a power flush using microboar especially that narrow, could cause bigger problems.

Have you got a magnetic filter which should indicate the level of general sludge in the system?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X