• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Broadband - how much is too much?"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    I edited the 15% to 1.5% when I re read the statement. The price increase in June is correct irrespective whether it's RPI or CPI but do carry on.
    RPI and CPI are actually very different beasts....

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Um

So out of 2 key facts you've got both of them wrong.
    I edited the 15% to 1.5% when I re read the statement. The price increase in June is correct irrespective whether it's RPI or CPI but do carry on.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    Jacking up prices by 15% on 7 October and going to stiff customers for an RPI increase in June 2021.
    Um
    On 7th October 2020, your broadband and line rental price will increase by 1.5%. We're also changing your terms, so that annual CPI price increases will apply to your broadband and line rental price from June 2021.
    So out of 2 key facts you've got both of them wrong.

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Jacking up prices by 1.5% on 7 October and going to stiff customers for an RPI increase in June 2021.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Does that mean you are warming towards anything from Yorkshire???
    You live in Lancashire...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Just to let you know that I went for Plusnet in the end. I’ll let you know in a few months time if I’m happy with them.
    Does that mean you are warming towards anything from Yorkshire???

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Just to let you know that I went for Plusnet in the end. I’ll let you know in a few months time if I’m happy with them.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Oohh... I'm a JL customer and was going to go with Plusnet - linky please!
    LMGTFY

John Lewis Broadband — John Lewis Broadband

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    LMGTFY

John Lewis Broadband — John Lewis Broadband

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    I'm in the process of moving away from Sky, as they've hiked the TV cost so much we're just going to dump it, and made sense to look at broadband at the same time. I'm not massively price-conscious so I was about to pull the trigger with Zen, but they've got rather a lot of very poor reviews on TrustPilot (I know, I know...) recently. Given they sell themselves on their customer service this was enough for me to change my mind.

Ended up going for John-Lewis-branded PlusNet (as it was cheaper than "straight" PlusNet!) - £30/month for 70Mbps faster fibre plus inclusive evening and weekend calls, 12 month contract, and a £75 JL voucher, knocking the effective monthly rate down to about £24. Best deal I could find.

Leave a comment:

• Amanensia
    replied
    I'm in the process of moving away from Sky, as they've hiked the TV cost so much we're just going to dump it, and made sense to look at broadband at the same time. I'm not massively price-conscious so I was about to pull the trigger with Zen, but they've got rather a lot of very poor reviews on TrustPilot (I know, I know...) recently. Given they sell themselves on their customer service this was enough for me to change my mind.

Ended up going for John-Lewis-branded PlusNet (as it was cheaper than "straight" PlusNet!) - £30/month for 70Mbps faster fibre plus inclusive evening and weekend calls, 12 month contract, and a £75 JL voucher, knocking the effective monthly rate down to about £24. Best deal I could find.

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Unlimited Fibre 1(I think) with BT, no DL limit, just over 51mbps speed works for me at just under £27 a month. Used to have the faster fibre 2 but my line will only do about 56mbs max and paying the extra quids a month wasnt worth it for 5mbps! Been with BT for about 8 years now with fibre and have only had one fault which they fixed seemlessly.

You hear all sorts of horror stories about BT but to be honest, touch wood, Ive had none. I renegotiate with them every contract. I had a good deal which included BT Sport in the last contract and when that ended asked for a good deal due to all the sport suspension. You had to apply for subs to be stopped which was just taking the piss imho.

Anyway, they couldnt give me what I considered a good deal to retain BT Sport so I dropped it.

Plusnet is just a division of BT. They are not without issue if you read their forums. I was going to switch to them to save less than a tenner a month but then the complaints on their forums plus BT wont port your home number if you're on fibre. BT's Call Protect is also very good at cutting nuisance calls.

I also prefer having my tinterweb and 'phone line' with the same provider. That way, they cannot play ping pong with your issue and say it's the other party's fault.

You pays yer money and all that.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Another plus for PlusNet.

Been with them for years since the days of ADSL.

Used to have to check their deals from time to time in order to get the best one but I believe they now give you the heads up anyway.

Good customer service, online tickets are usually sorted quickly (not that I've had to raise many) and not had a problem actually speaking to someone on the phone either.

I still redirect my domains to use their email and web servers which come as part of the package.

Service status has always been pretty good too. Can't fault them really.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I've just switched to Zen Internet, from BT which also involved a move to G. Fast. When I say just, I mean it literally came online 4 hours ago.

Couldn't be dealing with any kind of download limit

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    And the stupidest bit is that plusnet although the cheaper service offers a more premium call centre experience (all UK call centres although you may hit EE ones now BT have centralised their call centre services).
    indeed. Although I have juts found out that BT offer fibre to the premises to my house, but not Plusnet. Although a phone call would probably sort that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X