• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MyCo has all of a sudden got a requirement for a new monitor!"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Or for half the money if not less you could have 2 25" screens with the same resolution and far less hassle - which is how my office is laid out.
    I'd probably go that route too since I rarely need a really wide window. If I was doing content or even lived in spreadsheet-land I could see the attraction.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah but 5% extra for 11 inches more seems a no-brainer unless the spec is much worse(?)

I do like the Windows half/quarter-monitor lock shortcut keys but even so I reckon I'd struggle on something so wide. You'd take ages getting everything set up perfectly then reboot and it's all gone.

(Mac tools for multi-window splitting seem even worse)
    Or for half the money if not less you could have 2 25" screens with the same resolution and far less hassle - which is how my office is laid out.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah but 5% extra for 11 inches more seems a no-brainer unless the spec is much worse(?)

I do like the Windows half/quarter-monitor lock shortcut keys but even so I reckon I'd struggle on something so wide. You'd take ages getting everything set up perfectly then reboot and it's all gone.

On the mahoosive screen I bought recently, the window positioning stays put after a reboot, maybe that's because I use the Dell Monitor Manager to position everything (then turn it off as it's a bit too absolute). Except for Word. Word does whatever the jeffin hell it likes and will open fully widescreen or smack bang in the middle, at random. Neither position is where I want it to be.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Or for an extra £45 you can get 49"
    It's thinking like that made me go from "it would be nice to have a two bed flat and a bit of a garden" to "oh for an extra £15k I can have a three bed house and 25" garden with off road parking".

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Come now; is there still a debate about this?

You know that you're worth it: Dell 38" Ultrawide
    Or for an extra £45 you can get 49"

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    As I am saving tuliploads on not paying for trains or hotels yet on this contract I also splashed out on this:

WiT ScreenBar e-Reading Lamp | BenQ

Pretty nice bit of kit and lights the desk and screen perfectly
    that looks like a good replacement for my ancient anglepoise

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    As I am saving tuliploads on not paying for trains or hotels yet on this contract I also splashed out on this:

WiT ScreenBar e-Reading Lamp | BenQ

Pretty nice bit of kit and lights the desk and screen perfectly

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    MrsMac has said its fooking massive, glad I didn’t go for the 27”

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Excellent choice

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    This is the current recommended product from Apple

Buy Pro Display XDR - Apple (UK)

Worth using your IPSE discount on...!
    Let me repeat my advice from post 2

Originally posted by eek View Post
    What does Apple offer.

Then just buy This from Dell

Finally Laptops Direct is just about the only place that offers decent product filters so click Cheap Monitors & PC Monitor Deals | Laptops Direct

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    This is the current recommended product from Apple

Buy Pro Display XDR - Apple (UK)

Worth using your IPSE discount on...!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Come now; is there still a debate about this?

You know that you're worth it: Dell 38" Ultrawide
    +1. I wanted to get two, but the Finance Director wouldn't let me. She prefers a standard wide screen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X