• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New amp

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New amp"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    No, you'd need an extra bit of kit for that.

And a preamp if you want to listen to anything other than hiss.
    Very nice kit. Perhaps one of the Quad pre amps has blue tooth though.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    No bloo toof though?
    No, you'd need an extra bit of kit for that.

And a preamp if you want to listen to anything other than hiss.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Then again, one may purchase new Quad 11 monoblock power amps, a faithful repro of 1950s excellence.

A mere £2k for the pair should Sir be interested in that new fangled "stereo" nonsense.

That's for 2 x 15W.

One may opt for 2 x 80W but at significantly higher cost.

QII-Classic - Hi-Fi Corner - HiFi Corner
    No bloo toof though?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Then again, one may purchase new Quad 11 monoblock power amps, a faithful repro of 1950s excellence.

A mere £2k for the pair should Sir be interested in that new fangled "stereo" nonsense.

That's for 2 x 15W.

One may opt for 2 x 80W but at significantly higher cost.

QII-Classic - Hi-Fi Corner - HiFi Corner

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Not bluetooth, but real...
    Icon Audio MP 3 | Icon Audio
    Lovely. 500 quid, very nice. Have to be honest though, the Quad kit does it for me. They have been around in British hifi circles forever and the amp is likely to be the last one you'll ever need. There's something about streaming music from a smart phone to that Quad valve kit that really appeals to me actually.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Yes it's a "valve" amp, but if you look carefully you don't get 50W / channel out of those little valves, not for £109.

It's a bog standard transistor amp with a couple of valves acting as cathode followers between the source and the transistors.

For that genuine "valve" sound.

Mostly due to microphony at a bet.

In the words of the immortal W.C. Fields and P.T. Barnum "never give a sucker an even break" and "this way to see the egress".
    If it seems to good to be true etc....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Not bluetooth, but real...
    Icon Audio MP 3 | Icon Audio

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    My word, there is a whole new world out there I never knew existed. 108 quid for a valve amp? Like the idea of the Nobsound amp on the same page though
    Yes it's a "valve" amp, but if you look carefully you don't get 50W / channel out of those little valves, not for £109.

It's a bog standard transistor amp with a couple of valves acting as cathode followers between the source and the transistors.

For that genuine "valve" sound.

Mostly due to microphony at a bet.

In the words of the immortal W.C. Fields and P.T. Barnum "never give a sucker an even break" and "this way to see the egress".

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I wonder how many valves it would take to make a Bluetooth transceiver.

Then there's this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intimidatio.../dp/B01MAZGW4Q
    My word, there is a whole new world out there I never knew existed. 108 quid for a valve amp? Like the idea of the Nobsound amp on the same page though

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    I wonder how many valves it would take to make a Bluetooth transceiver.

Then there's this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intimidatio.../dp/B01MAZGW4Q

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    or one of these? - Quad have been top stuff for as long as i've been playing/listening to music.

Quad VA-One Integrated Valve Amplifier at Audio Affair

Check out all of the hifi shops in Basel and have a listen to a few, take a song you like with a good wide range, and ask them to play through equivalent quality speakers to yours.
    you'll pay a bit more, but it's worth it!
    My word. I never spotted the link to the Quad valve amp earlier. What an amazing it of kit that is. Bluetooth on a valve amp! Incredible. I wonder what my Apple Music would sound like streamed from my mobile to that Quad with Bluetooth? I have just seen something I like better than my Sonos, but I haven't heard it yet!

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    or one of these? - Quad have been top stuff for as long as i've been playing/listening to music.

Quad VA-One Integrated Valve Amplifier at Audio Affair

Check out all of the hifi shops in Basel and have a listen to a few, take a song you like with a good wide range, and ask them to play through equivalent quality speakers to yours.
    you'll pay a bit more, but it's worth it!
    How shocking, 2 x EL84 instead of 2 x KT66.

I suppose the cost of the latter would be unsupportable these days.

I remember the time when you could pick up (not literally, they're fecking heavy) a Quad 22 + 202 for peanuts.

Ah, dear dead days beyond recall.

Who'd have thunk it.

https://www.rewindmuseum.com/valveamplifier.htm

All completely irrelevant to the original question as is customary on CUK.

Rather curiously, during my extensive research last week into the ins & outs of acoustic gramophones, I discovered that the air itself causes distortion of the sound waveform due to the speed of sound being higher in the compression phase than it is in the expansion phase.

Not a lot of people know that.

Don't mention it to The Golden Eared or they'll get all upset.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 April 2018, 07:46.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's fine. It has good response over all the frequencies I'm still able to hear.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I like good sound reproduction, but I'm not an expert and I'm not obsessive.

In the end I got the Onkyo RN855 - hi-fi separate streamer. We need the other amp in the cellar for home cinema. My daughter likes the fact that if she wants to listen to her heavy metal in the morning and doesn't want to get out of bed, she can just switch it on and start streaming - and turn the volume up so she can hear in her room - using her phone...
    Pleased with it?

On my list for consideration, although my trusty Yamaha AV needs replacing too (soo old it doesn't have HDMI, although still a great amp) so may well have a look at the AV options which also support streaming.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    And for the rest of us, that sounds like an exceptionally good reason to not purchase the Onkyo RN855.

I'll get her to turn up really loud so you can share the joy too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X