• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Monitor went pop... what to get?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AMAZON
    -Smoothly pivot 90° clockwise or counter-clockwise, placing the thinnest edges side-by-side for an enhanced viewing experience, especially ideal for dual or multi-monitor set up.

-The U2715H is VESA-compatible, so you can wall mount your monitor or attach it to the optional Dell Single Monitor Arm.

-For convenient connections to other devices in your workspace, the U2715H provides two HDMI (MHL) ports, a DisplayPort, a mini-DisplayPort and USB 3.0 ports. Quickly charge BC1.2 compatible and other USB devices with a USB 3.0 port found on the rear of the monitor that supplies high-speed charging and powering.
    Only thing not 100% listed is how many USB ports but from the photo I think it's one on the side and 4 at the back, a proper hub.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    After some humming and hawing I eventually ordered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PRCRWRU

The reviews are just so good it seemed worth the extra and you get extra ports. I was going for the 25" but capitalised on leaving FRS VAT to get a 'free' upgrade to the 27" now I can reclaim 20%!
    Amazon doesn't list the full spec and I'm lazy. What inputs does it have? I need three so I don't have to keep unplugging stuff

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    After some humming and hawing I eventually ordered: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PRCRWRU

The reviews are just so good it seemed worth the extra and you get extra ports. I was going for the 25" but capitalised on leaving FRS VAT to get a 'free' upgrade to the 27" now I can reclaim 20%!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    So my Mac Mini supports a maximum of 2560x1440 through DisplayPort and only 1920x1200 from the HDMI port, though I can use both at once.

A full 4K monitor therefore seems a bit daft... in fact would driving it at 2560*1440 look crap anyway? Is 2560x1440 a standard resolution, that monitors are built to... and does it have a moniker like 3K or super-duper-VGA I can use for searching?

My backup monitor is making an annoying noise so may have to go too; I'm considering a landscape 2560x1440 and a portrait HD monitor could be one option. Maybe get the former and see if I need the latter.

UPDATE
    Yes it's WQHD. Seems ~£300 is the going rate. I saw the Dell U2515H and a 27" Ilyama at that price... decisions decisions!

The Dell U2518D is £100 more than the U1515H but same sort of featureset... is this just for more serious users like gamers?
    Last edited by d000hg; 29 September 2017, 22:31.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    so is the old monitor REALLY broken?
    Probably not but I like my new one, so I'll probably use both.

qh

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Monitor went pop, connectors went crackle, cable went snap.

Fixing the snap may well resolve the crackle & pop. That’s Rice Krispy Fault Finding.
    you off your meds again, or is it that friday feeling ??

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Monitor went pop, connectors went crackle, cable went snap.

Fixing the snap may well resolve the crackle & pop. That’s Rice Krispy Fault Finding.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Dodgy cable; all sorted.

Amazing how you can solve things when you aren't tired and feeling crap.

qh

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Dodgy cable; all sorted.

Amazing how you can solve things when you aren't tired and feeling crap.

qh

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Went for the Dell U2414H, got it setup last night all worked fine, really nice monitor.

Then today nothing works, using same cable DP (monitor) to miniDP (laptop).

Didn't change anything now it just alternates every second from single display to extended and back again. WTF!

Anyone had this and resolve it? Driving me nuts!

qh
    Sounds broken to me. Only test really is to try a second cable and see if that resolves it

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Went for the Dell U2414H, got it setup last night all worked fine, really nice monitor.

Then today nothing works, using same cable DP (monitor) to miniDP (laptop).

Didn't change anything now it just alternates every second from single display to extended and back again. WTF!

Anyone had this and resolve it? Driving me nuts!

qh

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    What a handy thread my 2.5 year old BenQ has just given up, working fine yesterday, bloody thing has gone kaput!

So, recommendations on 24" monitors?

Edit: prob go with the Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H

qh
    Pay the extra and go for the u2515h which has a 2560 by 1440 resolution rather than 1920 by 1080....

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    What a handy thread my 2.5 year old BenQ has just given up, working fine yesterday, bloody thing has gone kaput!

So, recommendations on 24" monitors?

Edit: prob go with the Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 25 September 2017, 17:08.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    49" HD telly for conference calls with your feet up. Or a projector for stand up conf calls.
    , 2* 23" Viewsonic for work.

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Originally posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    Just bought one of these - arrived today.

Excellent, even works with my KVM (client laptop/company laptop connected through USB docking station).

Almost too much screen estate, but can have two full sized windows side by side; and as a PM, the viewablity of MS Project is excellent!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X