• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How hard is it to find a sodding printer!"

Collapse

• Archangel
    replied
    £150 on ebuyer Dell C1765nfw Colour Multifunction Laser Printer with Fax - Ebuyer

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    £170 scans, fax, colour, auto duplex

Costco UK - Dell C1765NFW Multifunctional Colour Laser Printer with LED Technology

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    £23 each for a replacement for the Samsung, I get a full set for the Dell C1760NW for less than that. I hope you get plenty of life out of them. My last IJ was bought about 18 months ago, just use the scanner on it.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    I get along with one of each - I have decent inkjet (Pixma MG6150) for all the pretty stuff and photos....and MyCo bought a Samsung CLP415N colour laser for just under £100.
    Inkjet needs 6 different cartridges, which I have a stock of, and laser will require a remortgage to replace toners. Inkjet never has any issues with drying up etc., I think these products have moved on? - and the laser may well not get replacement toners, but be replaced when the time comes. Consumer extremism in action!

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
    I don't print much, but they clogged up, so it got binned. £120 for colour laser printer, £20 for non-original replacement toner packs (3 colour & large black). Coverage is about 2000 pages, starts to print first page in 10 seconds, then keeps churning out the pages faster than ink-jet.

I had all-in-one ADF scanner, but the printer clogged, but keep it for scanning, but doesn't scan to email. Both are wifi.
    The reason I haven't got a ink jet is that I print so rarely that I'm sure I'd print a few pages. Then by the next time I need a printer the ink would have dried up. With a laser this isn't a problem. Has any manufacturer solved that whole drying up issue yet?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Never owned a printer at home, laser or ink jet, because I feel it would just encourage me to have more bits of paper needlessly floating around. (In fact I scan everything and ditch the hard-copy where possible).

But I fondly imagined, or thought I recall hearing, that expensive colour laser printers were pretty cheap to replenish - You'd pay through the nose up front, but then they were fairly cheap to run. But obviously not from what people are saying here.

Out of interest, are colour ink jet printers also expensive to replenish?
    Colour lasers are generally sold at a loss.

You can try to save on toners by going to refills or compatible. in my experience the refills are rubbish and caused more damage. Compatible are hit and miss, so I often just paid for new originals.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Dumped my ink jet printer

I don't print much, but they clogged up, so it got binned. £120 for colour laser printer, £20 for non-original replacement toner packs (3 colour & large black). Coverage is about 2000 pages, starts to print first page in 10 seconds, then keeps churning out the pages faster than ink-jet.

I had all-in-one ADF scanner, but the printer clogged, but keep it for scanning, but doesn't scan to email. Both are wifi.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I have a Kodak Office Hero all-in-one thingy.

Colour and Black cartridges are about a tenner each for branded but you can get generic ones online cheaper.
    Last edited by Pondlife; 8 October 2014, 13:16.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I don't think I'd buy another Colour laser ever again. They take ages to warm up and calibrate before finally spitting out the first page.
    Never owned a printer at home, laser or ink jet, because I feel it would just encourage me to have more bits of paper needlessly floating around. (In fact I scan everything and ditch the hard-copy where possible).

But I fondly imagined, or thought I recall hearing, that expensive colour laser printers were pretty cheap to replenish - You'd pay through the nose up front, but then they were fairly cheap to run. But obviously not from what people are saying here.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I don't think I'd buy another Colour laser ever again. They take ages to warm up and calibrate before finally spitting out the first page.
    Amen!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    My business needs a laser printer because inkjet prints of pages of text (CV's, proposals, contracts etc) look tulip. To me, laser printing is the absolute standard now and I like them because the toner will sit there for ages and be absolutely fine when I have to print something.

I didn't even own a printer prior to going contracting.
    Very good. I am convinced

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Until you need to buy toner ...

I scrapped my colour laser (in 2008), it cost a bloody fortune to buy toner, like £90 for each CMY and £50 for K
    Yeah. and ours used a tiny amount of colour even on monochrome pages. And when the Colour runs out the printer stops printing. About £90 for each Colour!

About six months ago the Y developer unit broke. Cost? £200! plus about 1 hour for a replace it. I got a old KOnica-Minolta Bizhub for £180 and we now use that instead. When we need colour we go down the street to a mate.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A laser printer suggests a higher volume of printing. What part of your business requires you have a laser printer... just because you plug it into your PC doesn't make it a business cost.
    My business needs a laser printer because inkjet prints of pages of text (CV's, proposals, contracts etc) look tulip. To me, laser printing is the absolute standard now and I like them because the toner will sit there for ages and be absolutely fine when I have to print something.

I didn't even own a printer prior to going contracting.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    Don't be a knob: who mentioned anything about printing 'that amount of stuff'. It's a printer; live with the fact that people do have them and replace toner as and when required out of co expenses.
    A laser printer suggests a higher volume of printing. What part of your business requires you have a laser printer... just because you plug it into your PC doesn't make it a business cost.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    Printers arnt what they used to be

Give me a DeskJet 990 anyday...
    Posh!

When I started my first job was to clean out the inkwells on an 840, for VIPs we'd give them a 950 if they were lucky

Leave a comment:

Working...
X