• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Well, that's the afternoon done. Still raining a bit from time to time, and very breezy

The team I'm on is a bit biased towards devops, which is a change though not really my usual thing. But as it happens, I had to do a lot of the same stuff myself on the doomed project, so I should be OK, and if anything it'll be pretty easy work compared to that nonsense as most of it is quite straightforward. The interesting bit comes when things go wrong and nobody can work out why, but I enjoy investigating stuff like that so I'm hoping it happens a lot

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Lunch: pork cutlet in a wholemeal bap with apple sauce

Very rainy morning, and it's not stopping yet

There's a weekly (or maybe fortnightly?) team retrospective meeting shortly, so I'll be able to find out who I'll be working with

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Dull. Wet. Raining. Currently 12 degrees with a high of 14 expected. Rain set to continue for the rest of the day. Barometer up a bit to 1005 mBar.

In the office today. A requirement I only found out yesterday lunchtime because I logged in to see what time I needed to be online today for a meeting. That meeting got brought forward half an hour so I'd have missed it if I was only to work the half day I'd originally planned. I do like that consultancyCo assume I check emails when I'm not working.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The new team has finally realised that I'm around and have nothing else to do. So now I'm shadowing somebody in a meeting with another team to get an idea of the various things "we" deal with, pending a more formal induction this afternoon

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Tuesday.

Didn't wake at 06:05, woke at 04:44 instead & read book for half an hour.

Grey.

Sunless.

Misty.

Damp.

Dreary.

Chilly in here at 15 deg, 16 deg in the kitchen, 13.5 deg in the leanto.

1007 mBar, 29.7366 in Hg, 755.3 Torr, 14.6 psi, (up from 1006 last night), 76% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 18th of November 2019 it was sunny, WTFH was getting the hot water fixed, I was in with the hoi polloi where some poor sod was being taught how to jobsearch on line on instruction from JobCentre+.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 08:11.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all CBS, etc.
    Dog walked, wife still away, car booked in for a service, hotel booked for later this week, been a busy morning so far.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Very gloomy grey day out there, with spots of rain continuing from overnight and expected to carry on until mid-afternoon when we'll just be left with wind instead. The barometers are up a little but not really encouraging at 996/1004mB

The Halifax direct debit was taken from my account this morning, so they haven't yet cleared up all the loose ends of the mortgage. Oh well, it'll come back soon

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tonight's reading has been Greg Bear's Eternity, sequel to Eon. In fact, I started reading this a while back, but couldn't get into it; I just wasn't in the right mood for it. Making more progress this time

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea: ribs and chips

Accompanied by the only remaining episode of the Gloucestershire police thing, which this time featured a drunk woman making a nuisance of herself in the Cheltenham convenience store I used to go to quite often, down past the Cotswold Inn on the other side of the road. The interior has been rearranged, and it doesn't look as if they still do those nice hot rotisserie chickens

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    An unproductive day had but I did manage to find a couple of gigs to pitch for.

A recruitment bod called to say they didn't have any jobs but their contacts are saying they're waiting for the budget to decide what they're going to do. So they're erring on the side of "let's catch up with a load of people and make sure I have a book of available resources should BigCo be happy with Labour's budget". I feel that's a pragmatic approach but it does make me wonder if I'll get anything work-wise before Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    No further communication was received, so I spent the afternoon occasionally reading some docs which may possibly be relevant

And as the rain, which has been persistent if often drizzly all afternoon, had stopped, I popped round to the pharmacy to collect the monthly prescription

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Somebody who I gather is my new Delivery Manager finally popped up on Slack to ask if I was back at work. I assured them I was, and have heard nothing more

So I had lunch: chicken, tomato and lentil soup (herby) with a crust of wholemeal

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Afternoon all

Wet and windy today. Showers started in the wee hours and have continued off and on so far today. Allegedly no further rain forecast. Currently 16 degrees with a high of 17 expected. Barometer down to 1002 mBar.

This morning HWMBO and I went over to Costco in Hayes for a mooch about. He recently joined and got a card for me on his account. Their tyre prices are cheaper than Black Circles, which is handy.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Links are up

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Back to work and… nothing

There's nothing in my Inbox telling me what I should be working on or who I should be working with. Nobody's been in touch on Teams or Slack. My calendar is empty except for a Tuesday meeting related to the old project which couldn't be deleted because the person who set it up left months ago, and the standard departmental stuff. And my contract manager is OoO on some training thing until Thursday, though she doesn't work on Friday so that means all week

I suppose I should ask around to see if I can find somebody who might know what I'm supposed to be up to

Once it gets to 12:46, I can invoice for a full day…

Leave a comment:

Working...
X