• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    When I moved here, there was a whole bunch of stuff (mainly in the kitchen and bathroom) that I just stuffed into carrier bags at the old place, then dumped at the back of the pantry floor at this end. Things like bottles of some chemical I needed once that then ended up under the sink for years, old takeaway containers that "might come in handy", a whole bag full of dusters that weren't quite dirty enough to throw away - all kinds of junk like that

So the other day I ordered a couple of small wire trolleys off Amazon, the right height to fit under the deep shelf at the back of the pantry, and yesterday I hauled all the bags out and dumped them in the kitchen, on the basis that they'd annoy me so much that I'd have to sort them out. And I just have! All the useful junk is now neatly stored, while other stuff has been deemed surplus to requirements, and I can finally step into the pantry and find things when I want them!

It's not perfect yet, though. I think I'm going to add a couple of rows of hooks on the wall, as there are various things it would be handy to be able to hang up

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Tonight's first major motion picture was... Battle of Britain (1969) in which, as you may know, we win
    Battle of Britain was in 1969? My knowledge of history is rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

It was quite sunny about fifteen minutes ago, but now the clouds have gathered and it's raining. Pretty mild at 15°C, and aiming for 17°, while the barometers are back up a bit at 995/1003mB

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Tonight's first major motion picture was... Battle of Britain (1969) in which, as you may know, we win
    Not quite sure why it feels like we lost the peace. .

Morning.

Sunday.

Grey.

Damp.

Dreary.

Wanly sunny if you use some imagination.

Cool in here at 18.9 deg, 20 deg in the kitchen, 18 deg in the leanto.

1003.5 mBar, 29.63333 in Hg, 752.6868 Torr, 14.5545 psi, (up from 1003 last night), 66% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 18th of October 2019 NF went shopping and it was raining again after stopping for 5 minutes.

Hammering down now: rivers of water in the gutters flowing down the road.

Looks like the washing is on hold for today. .

Entertainment during the deluge: the extras on "Once upon a time in Hollywood".
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 10:27.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Morning all
    Blue skies and sunshine here, might give the grass a trim later. I see one of my neighbours is clearing around their paddock, looks like he’s planning a bonfire this evening, so we shall probably do likewise.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tonight's first major motion picture was not a premiere, but it's probably been a few decades since I last watched it, and this was the first time I've seen it in widescreen high definition since the Saturday afternoon that our parents took us to see it in the Forum Cinema (later the ABC) on Lime Street in Liverpool when it came out: Battle of Britain (1969) in which, as you may know, we win

And then a premiere: Spider-Man 3 (2007) which was very good as these things go. However, perhaps someone should suggest to the Americans that having him swoop past a huge stars and stripes to convey how great the USA is doesn't sit so well with the revelation towards the end (spoiler alert) that the bad guy was only committing a robbery to get money to save his dying child. I realise the people of the USA struggle to understand this, but the overt acknowledgement that you're a country that will let children die if their parents can't afford to pay for medical care does not, in fact, convince anybody that you're the greatest country in the world. More like a bunch of greedy evil bastards, hmm? Think about it, USA

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea was brought from Nando's

Took a while, mind. Apparently there's some kind of sporting thing going on, so maybe that had an effect on the number of Deliveroo people available

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    There's a pied wagtail on the lawn!

We don't usually see them here - it probably lives in the park, where there's a pond (they like living near water) but isn't so keen on the bands

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I have internet! Woo!
    It's a trap! It's too late for us, but flee! Flee for your life!

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I have internet! Woo!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I have internet! Woo!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Bacon butty for lunch

No further rain, so there's a chance the park won't be turned into a quagmire

I'm confused about the road closures. Looking at the council's website, it says the road past the park will only be closed from 9pm to midnight, and that only from near the other end of our road to another side road further down. But Google Maps' traffic layer has all of it closed all day. Same for the main road along the top of the park. There's another map site dedicated to road closures, roadworks and such that the council link to from their site, but that says the same as Google

I suppose I could satisfy my curiosity by walking a hundred yards and looking for myself. But I can't really be bothered

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    Morning Citizens
    so, July 6th already. and it's pissing down with rain.
    bloody Labour guvmint!

mutter mutter, bugrit bugrit bugrit.
    Om

EDIT: Ah, I see Dr S beat me to it. I spent too long blathering

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Morning all

Overcast. Wet. Raining. Currently 12 degrees ('feels like' 10) with a high of 17 expected. Rain forecast off and on all day. Barometer at 1000 mBar.

My barometer was reading far higher than the weather app so I've opted to 'recalibrate' it and see if it significantly drifts again. (Recalibration being via the little screw on the back, not a hammer)

Today I am expecting the internet to arrive and, less hopefully, a water meter. The bill from Thames Water for an unmetered small flat was huge compared to what I was paying in the house (which was metered). I'm not letting them shysters get away with that. However, what I thought was the stop cock inside the flat doesn't appear to do anything so I don't know if a meter can be fitted. Will find out this afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    Morning Citizens
    so, July 6th already. and it's pissing down with rain.
    bloody Labour guvmint!

mutter mutter, bugrit bugrit bugrit.
    Zen Chury Om.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X