• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: test please delete

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "test please delete"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea has been a thick-cut ribeye steak with chips, fried onions and beans

Accompanied by a bit of Trucking Hell

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If it's what I think you're referring to, they're just called felt pads - at least, that's what's on the the packet of ones I picked up from Robert Dyas a while back. Get a pack of four and replace them all as you're unlikely to get one that is exactly the same thickness.
    Yes, I reckon doing them all at the same time makes sense

The ones on there are plastic rather than felt, but felt ones will probably be better for the laminated wood floor in the bedroom. I found a pack of fifty on Amazon for a few quid, so that should do

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Turned into a lovely sunny day around these parts. This has prompted me to see if it will still rain later. Yes but now not until 4 am tomorrow, which is unlikely to trouble me.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

It turns out the one I brought back is missing one of the pads on the bottom of its legs, so now I need to find out what they're called so I can search for replacements on Amazon and stop it wobbling
    If it's what I think you're referring to, they're just called felt pads - at least, that's what's on the the packet of ones I picked up from Robert Dyas a while back. Get a pack of four and replace them all as you're unlikely to get one that is exactly the same thickness.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    So far this afternoon, I've moved six boxes over to the storage unit, and brought back a small table with drawer below. My parents had one of these each at the sides of their usual seats in their living room, and one of them will be just right as a bedside table here, replacing the rickety thing I got from Homebase many years ago

It turns out the one I brought back is missing one of the pads on the bottom of its legs, so now I need to find out what they're called so I can search for replacements on Amazon and stop it wobbling

Meanwhile in email, several identical messages from somebody testing an IT ticketing system with the address [email protected]

Also, an email from the Neighbourhood Watch lady back by the old place, who I still hadn't notified of my move. It appears the new landlord has let out the old stable, of frosty roof fame, for some kind of business activity. This is creating a nuisance, as they work late at night and cause what are described as "mini explosions". She's in the throes of trying to get the authorities to take action. So I've sent her the name and address of the new landlord and pointed out that there's very little chance he's ever applied for planning permission for light industrial use of the property, which would also be very unlikely to be granted

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Big Sainsbury's has been shopped at, largely successfully on the basis that I haven't yet remembered anything I meant to get but didn't except plain crisps

Lunch came from the food-that-once-knew-warmth counter: a couple of garlic & herb chicken thighs, along with the last bag of plain crisps remaining in the flat

The fog had cleared by the time I went out and it's starting to look as if it will soon brighten up out there, albeit still rather cloudy at the moment

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Afternoon all

Foggy start to the day. Overcast but feels quite bright. Currently 12 degrees with a high of 15 expected. No rain forecast until late evening / early hours of tomorrow morning. Barometer up to 1013 mBar.

A mere 3.5 hours of work to be done today to take me up to the 2 days I was due to work this week. Next week I'm back up to a 40h week .

Brunch was scrambled eggs on crumpets that I found in the freezer as I've still not bought any bread.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Toasted teacake for breakfast

Off to Big Sainsbury's now. I do like having Fridays free

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Morning.

Friday.

Dry.

Sunnyish.

Blue sky in parts.

Chilly in here at 16.6 deg, 17 deg in the kitchen, 15 deg in the leanto.

1010 mBar, 29.825 in Hg, 757.56 Torr, 14.65 psi, (unchanged), 69% RH (Lidl electric).

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the sunshine.

Meanwhile on the 22nd of November 2019 NF's abode was paid a visit by the Immigration Gestapo which got him out of bed at some ridiculous hour, then he couldn't go back to sleep.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; Today, 09:44.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Morning denizens

Quite foggy out, which I wasn't expecting after yesterday's sunny skies. Not quite as mild either: 9°C now with an expected high of 15°C once it clears up a bit this afternoon. The barometers are up a touch at 1003/1011mB

I have a busy Friday planned involving storage, the tip, and Sainsbury's, among other things. How much of that will actually come to pass remains to be seen

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Misty autumnal morning, but very pleasant for a walk

TFIF, etc.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Read a bit more of The Founders. PayPal and X have agreed a merger; "business genius" Elon Musk initially demanded a valuation at a 92/8 split in favour of X, but his own business partners and employees forced him to accept a (much more reasonable) 50/50 split instead

Must remember to change the early alarms on the phone from "Mon-Fri" to "Mon-Thu" before I go to sleep

Goodnight all

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Tea has been chicken in red wine sauce with chips and peas

This was accompanied by a new episode of the Gloucestershire police thing. And there's a new episode of Traffic Cops too! Spoilt for choice

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I have today been offered more work by consultancyCo, increasing my days from 2 per week back up to full time. This is very welcome even if it is only until the end of January.
    Every little helps!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    In other news, I see Scrambled Maps has been updated again.
    I like the green tick on correctly-positioned tiles

Leave a comment:

Working...
X