• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Things that set alarm bells ringing when buying a house"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    I really wanted this lovely House but was put off buying the House because it had a big tree 3 ft from the front door and you could tell the roots were under the foundations.

5 bedroom detached house for sale in Langdon Hills, Essex, SS16, SS16
    Plus...it's in Basildon.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
    I really wanted this lovely House but was put off buying the House because it had a big tree 3 ft from the front door and you could tell the roots were under the foundations.

Hmmm, that would have been worth a more detailed look IMO. All though it's fairly tall it doesn't have a thick trunk so doesn't look to be very mature and certainly isn't older than the house. They would have flattened the plot before building on it. Also it would depend on the type of tree, not all of them spread horizontally as much as others.

If there was an issue then that is grounds to have it felled. Not sure it's old enough to have a preservation order on it but the area might have one. Either way you can get around that if it is indeed causing or going to cause damage.

With a bit of careful investigation you might have been able to knock some money of that, get it felled and bob's your uncle.

I just don't understand why people plant trees infront of the windows of their house. Must block all the light out making it gloomy inside.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Moving next to a school and being surprised that it would be busy with people dropping their kids off by car. Pretty dim. Best solution; move somewhere else.
    +1 to that. Sometimes you just have to apply a bit of common sense to a situation.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I think thats cos there is a Metropolitan(?) Railway cutting behind and the then local when it was built didn't want a gap.....

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    Things that set alarm bells ringing when buying a house

The imposing looking properties at numbers 23 & 24 are false façades, with thin air behind the 5 feet (1.5 m) thick walls – look closely and you’ll see that the windows are in fact just painted on, and the doors have no letter boxes.
    The fake houses at 23 and 24 Leinster Gardens, Bayswater, London W2

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I thought that court order prevented you from being with 400 metres of a school?
    Shoosh.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The noise from a school playground is something else too.

Avoid being near a school.
    Is that not a legal requirement for you due to your bail conditions ?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I thought that court order prevented you from being with 400 metres of a school?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Moving next to a school and being surprised that it would be busy with people dropping their kids off by car. Pretty dim. Best solution; move somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That tree looks older than the house!

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    tight boxes
    Fnarr.

Anyway. My son lives within 500 yards of a school and he faces similar problems.

The irony is that these parents seem disinclined to be reprimanded by frustrated residents about careless parking as they're seething at having had to settle for a parking spot 500 yards from where they wanted to be.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You've met Diver?
    Another important question:
    • Are you likely to be woken up by an amulance siren at 605 in the morning?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Just walk past their precious 4x4s with a 50p piece in hand.

Most effective.

qh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X