• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Scuba Diving :)

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scuba Diving :)"

Collapse

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I bought an apartment in Sharm, so I could go diving.

We all know how that turned out

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Thanks Smartie, some great tips

My dive teacher said pretty much the same about kit, and she's had hers for nigh on 10 years too. Whilst I'm eager to get things I also want to be sure I'm getting the right stuff so it'll last me a good few years. I've been eyeing up a nice dive computer to start with, and looking for places to go try on a few masks. I have to resist the temptation to go and buy everything!

Cave diving is something I've thought of too, I saw a specific PADI speciality course that I might try if I get past the Rescue Diver stage. Someone else mentioned Mexico too, so I'll check the cavern diving out.

I'm hoping to get a fair bit of experience in the UK first, provided I don't freeze to death this weekend! My aim at the moment is to be good enough to join in on a dive to Lundy next year to swim with the seals.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Recommendations

Gz on the progress and good luck in open water - I imagine it will be a bit nicer than the 4 degrees I had on my OW dives. It is a good idea to do training in the UK though - if you can dive here you can dive most places without issues. For your buoyancy, you'll find it improves quite a lot over your first 30 dives and then more slowly.

Recommendations:

Gear - most places you can hire stuff so it depends how much you want to dive really. If you've really got the bug then having your own set of gear makes sense financially - it's also nicer to dive in stuff you're used to and that you know has been maintained properly. Much of my gear I've had since I started about 15 years ago and it's done hundreds of dives.
    I'd start with a mask - really important this fits. A dive computer is also really handy and is also backup dive log for you. Fins not so important but nice to have. BCD/Wing - good once you know what you prefer and have tried a few - important to get a good fit. Regs will last for ages if looked after and it's nice to know the thing giving you air has been looked after - mine are Apeks but Scubapro are also decent. A cheap shortie (wetsuit) for the pool is handy, other wetsuits according to where you'll dive - 3mm/5mm for warmer climes especially if you're an unusual shape where rental suits might not be a good fit. If you're diving in the UK then a well fitting dry suit is very important - O'Three are great but quite pricey, again depends how much you'll use it. Regular UK divers will also often buy tanks. A torch is handy, though you don't have to spend hundreds on an underwater lightsaber - the little LED ones are good enough for most situations. Oh, and safety equipment - a reel and SMB is always useful and not expensive, emergency strobes, a decent horn/whistle etc.

Training - if you're going the PADI route then do at least up to Rescue Diver which is their best course and well worth doing. The Advanced open water course isn't particularly great but it's needed to get a deeper cert (30m). Some of the optional components are useful though - I'd definitely go for the peak performance buoyancy one.

Places to dive - well there's loads of good stuff in the UK but I'll leave others to comment as I like the blue water ;-). Egypt is great because it has the best dives for the distance travelled - five hours or so flights. I know it's a bit iffy at the moment but I'm still off there in October to Marsa Shagra which incidentally is great for new divers as you can just go and dive when you like on an easy site. Sharm is nice but a bit busy for me these days - still you should go and dive Ras Mohammed and Tiran either from day boats or even better on a liveaboard. Other liveaboard sites like the Brothers are amazing and it's nice to dive on quieter sites. They also seem to have relaxed the 50 dives minimum for most liveaboards these days.

Further afield, if you end up in Oz, go to Townsville and dive the Yongala wreck - a completely amazing dive. Indonesia is also great, particularly for really odd creatures in the Lembeh Straits. Oh, and cavern diving in Mexico is pretty cool, though I'd recommend getting some experience in first - I did it between 15-20 dives and didn't really feel ready for it.

Apart from that, just enjoy it and remember diving rule no.1 - 'Always look good' ;-)

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    I'm happily aching from my diving yesterday, having completed confined dives 4 & 5 and passed the written "exam". Just the two open water dives to go now, and I can't wait! Swimming around a pool pretending to be a shark is one thing, but being able to do it in the open water must be excellent

I think I've got the hang of my buoyancy too, so able to hang "Buddha-style" in the water!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I'm happily aching from my diving yesterday, having completed confined dives 4 & 5 and passed the written "exam". Just the two open water dives to go now, and I can't wait! Swimming around a pool pretending to be a shark is one thing, but being able to do it in the open water must be excellent

I think I've got the hang of my buoyancy too, so able to hang "Buddha-style" in the water!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Iceland water temp can be up to 11 degrees in August, that is the same as diving in the UK between Dec to April so it isn't quite as bad is it sounds.

Þorlákshöfn Sea Temperature | Iceland Water Temperatures

It can get down to 1.2 degrees there though
    It was 9 degrees in May around Dunbar this year...

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    I am no scuba diver (one taster dive was enough) but kayaking on the west coast of Scotland looking down through crystal clear water to the abundant life below makes me think the diving must be wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Now that's a good idea - if you stay local, by which I mean Europe, then a long weekend would do it. Two days diving, one day sunning. Making a note of your other Europe suggestions for future planning!
    Just remember the safe timings between diving and flying.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    It will, we're squeezing 3 days diving in Gran Canaria later in the year.
    This ^^

We've got a cheeky week in Lanzarote, specifically to suss out what the diving's like as it's comparatively local.

Main holiday was diving in Jardines de la Reina. 1:03 the fun starts

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Saw a group heading off to do this when I was there - it was February and utterly freezing. Fissure diving - the fissures looked amazing - imagine it would be an unforgettable experience.
    Iceland water temp can be up to 11 degrees in August, that is the same as diving in the UK between Dec to April so it isn't quite as bad is it sounds.

Þorlákshöfn Sea Temperature | Iceland Water Temperatures

It can get down to 1.2 degrees there though

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Or go completely arse about face and try diving in Iceland. The sea is so cold up there organisms don't grow so the water is crystal clear and you can see for 100+m. Not quite a tropical paradise but a very different experience..

DIVE.IS - Scuba Diving in Iceland - PADI Dive Center Iceland
    Saw a group heading off to do this when I was there - it was February and utterly freezing. Fissure diving - the fissures looked amazing - imagine it would be an unforgettable experience.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Or go completely arse about face and try diving in Iceland. The sea is so cold up there organisms don't grow so the water is crystal clear and you can see for 100+m. Not quite a tropical paradise but a very different experience..

I met a girl yesterday who did that, and she saw the Northern Lights on the same week. She quit diving in this country because it was too cold but then went diving in Iceland!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    L'Estartit in Spain, Malta and Gozo (Gozo is the best of the two) and Menorca (for cavern diving) are some of the best diving destinations if you want to stay in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Probably my favourite place in the world is Thailand. Genuinely lovely people (friendly and genuine like the Balinese...
    I thought the Thai woman who fired a ping-pong ball out of her vagina so that it hit my forehead was a tad over-friendly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X