• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Living Wage

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Living Wage"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    As can seen by the Comet fiasco (we are funding the redundancies while the usual piranha gnaw at the corpse) its down to what you allow companies & the market to get away with.

You give low paid workers subsidies or offer cheap imported labour bottom end wages stay low.

You offer younger /better qualified / more motivated workers then they are going be employed over those with higher expectations or less motivation (I suspect the over 50's and those with lower qualifications make a bigger proportion of the unemployed than 25 year olds with a masters degree).

subsidise ignorance & poverty and you get more of both.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    It looks as though you've been reading "The Wealth of Nations" whilst ignoring the bits about the importance of morality.

The ideal is nice but real life just isn't like that, are we not paying the price for greed and exploitation right now??
    The current recession is absolutely nothing to do with capitalism and all to do with the government. It a textbook example of an Austrian business cycle.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The Dodgy family's going up in the world!
    Yes the son is now a dustman.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    My son was offered a job in recruitment and I told him to only do it as a last resort. Fortunately he has landed a proper job
    The Dodgy family's going up in the world!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Recruitment agent?
    My son was offered a job in recruitment and I told him to only do it as a last resort. Fortunately he has landed a proper job

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Me too. The immigrants are the only ones willing to do the low paid tulipty jobs. People in this country can't be arsed because they'd rather claim benefits and wait for the dream job to arrive in their lap.
    Recruitment agent?

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    People in this country can't be arsed because they'd rather claim benefits and wait for the dream job to arrive in their lap.
    How likely is that to happen ...... um ......... er ................ never

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Me too. The immigrants are the only ones willing to do the low paid tulipty jobs. People in this country can't be arsed because they'd rather claim benefits and wait for the dream job of being paid to do sod all at home to arrive in their lap.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Ahh now I'm not blaming immigrants as given my experience if I was running a business I would probably hire them due to their work ethic, the difference is like I do here I send a substantial chunk of my money back to the UK so you're in a situation where a lot of money wouldn't be going back into the country (the UK that is)

But immigration controls here are a lot tighter than the UK so the effect here would be very minimal I suppose
    Me too. The immigrants are the only ones willing to do the low paid tulipty jobs. People in this country can't be arsed because they'd rather claim benefits and wait for the dream job to arrive in their lap.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Knowing people in some of those countries listed, the tax take may look lower but it doesn't include indirect taxes, wages and the cost of living.

For example in NZ lots of skilled workers earn less than their counterparts in the UK but the cost of living is the same.

Plus the way their tax laws are written you can't work as we do here.
    Those aren't tax rates. They're tax revenues as a % of GDP.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Have you ever run a business where you have to find enough money each month to meet the payroll?...
    No, because we made tons of money.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    It looks as though you've been reading "The Wealth of Nations" whilst ignoring the bits about the importance of morality.
    Yep, and Adam Smith's 'Theory of Moral Sentiments' is worth reading too. Sort of complimentary to Wealth off Nations; don't read one without the other and remember that it's only one viewpoint; there are many other ways to analyse situations.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Have you ever run a business where you have to find enough money each month to meet the payroll?

No .. I thought not
    Yes I have.

Hence I will never employ anyone directly again.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Most countries don't actually. We pay a disgusting amount here, about 40% of all GDP. It should be about 15%.

A few other countries...

USA 26.9
    Switzerland 29.4
    Australia 30.8
    Canada 32.2
    New Zealand 34.5
    South Korea 26.8
    Japan 28.3

A couple of failed economies in there mind, but also some extremely strong ones too.
    Knowing people in some of those countries listed, the tax take may look lower but it doesn't include indirect taxes, wages and the cost of living.

For example in NZ lots of skilled workers earn less than their counterparts in the UK but the cost of living is the same.

Plus the way their tax laws are written you can't work as we do here.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Capitalism doesn't exploit anyone. All capitalism is is a series of mutually beneficial voluntary transactions.

The wealth divide is nonsense too. Earning X amount more than someone doesn't mean your life is X times better. And you can only earn such an amount by providing more than that amount of value to someone else so you shouldn't be discouraged from doing so.

The ideal is nice but real life just isn't like that, are we not paying the price for greed and exploitation right now??
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 17 December 2012, 18:15.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X