• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Did you pass your driving test..."

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    Instant fail not because of lack of 5th gear but because learners are not allowed on the motorway (seems a bit daft because you can go on one without motorway training or supervision straight after passing your test)
    In Germany you have to do a mandatory amount of hours on a motorway plus driving at night. I personally think this is a good idea to get learners to drive in circumstances which they're going to have to do once they've passed. Mind you, doing your license here costs a bomb

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
    Instant fail not because of lack of 5th gear but because learners are not allowed on the motorway (seems a bit daft because you can go on one without motorway training or supervision straight after passing your test)
    It's probably more to do with minimising motorway closures than your own personal safety.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Switzerland is easy. At the end of the test the pupil asks the examiner "What is the name given to a gap in the mountains where roads are built?" When the examiner answers; the pupil says thanks.
    ow. ow. ow.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    First time in London- Failed, pulling back into driving centre I hit accelerate instead of break, nearly went through the wall - instant fail.
    Second time in Lancashire - too scared to hit 5th gear on motorway - instant fail
    Third time in Lancashire - indicator on car failed - didnt leave the car park
    Forth time passed - week later driving a chrysler x4 in North Carolina, 6 weeks training with work - that is when I really learned to drive!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Car, bike and plane first time.

On the bike test (recent), I stopped within the first 30 seconds as I couldn't hear the instructor. He said the volume was at max and there was nothing he could do, so would I like to cancel the test? I gulped, got back on the bike and did as best I could. Within the first 5 mins I thought I'd failed - everything went wrong, I was really unsettled and then thought - feck it.

After that, I rode very relaxed and was amazed I'd passed - the instructor said what on earth were you doing in the first five mins?!?!?! lol!

Scariest test was the twin aircraft rating - I was in a Seneca II Turbo 200T twin aircraft and the examiner made me bank the aircraft left and look out the left window for a scan before I did a max rate left hand turn.

At that time the left engine spluttered and lost power. Being as I was in a left hand banking turn the plane went into a steep left hand dive, I banged the right rudder pedal to stop the extreme yaw and tried to stabilise the plane. I looked right at my examiner with a face that said "what the **** do we do!?!?!" He just turned around and said "go through the emergency checklist NOW"

Feck me! I got the plane steady, power max, props max, mixture full rich. Right rudder, left leg dead. Left engine dead. Confirmed left engine dead. Fuel tanks: check. Fuel cutoff switches: bastard!!!! The examiner had surreptitiously cut the fuel off to the left engine as I was looking out the window.

I turned to him and smiled and carried out the engine feathering and shutdown drills for the left engine.

Now, that's the proper way to make sure you've understood and are capable of carrying out your training in an examination!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    In Switzerland you get three goes. After that you have to see a psychiatrist. I don't know how many goes you get after that.
    Switzerland is easy. At the end of the test the pupil asks the examiner "What is the name given to a gap in the mountains where roads are built?" When the examiner answers; the pupil says thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    And some ex-pilots too, IIRC
    That would apply to me as my license has expired.

Intend to renew after this gig though.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    In Switzerland you get three goes. After that you have to see a psychiatrist. I don't know how many goes you get after that.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I think I have the record so far, won't tell you how many times but its more than the next highest on this thread, and more than a few people combined
    Seems weird there is no limit (that I know of).

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I was speaking to my Granfather back in the day and he told me that he NEVER took a test, just went in the post office and filled in an application and got his full licence.
    For my Dad, I think he got it in the army, they just said, can you drive? He said no, they just said you can now.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    I was speaking to my Granfather back in the day and he told me that he NEVER took a test, just went in the post office and filled in an application and got his full licence.
    LOL amazing:

A voluntary driving test was introduced in England in 1935. The test cost 37½ pence and the pass rate was 63%. The first person to pass was called Mr Been. There weren’t any test centres and examiners would meet candidates at a pre-arranged spot, like a park or railway station. The compulsory driving test was introduced on 1st June 1935, for all drivers who started driving on or after 1st of April 1934.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    A few years back maybe. Not these days, not from what people I know have said. They all basically c*nts. HTH.
    I was late for a ferry a few years back, driving to Rome. I come across a V70 paddy wagon going about 70mph. Everytime I wento overtake it, it swerved in front of me and a light in the back lit up saying Police Slow. He did it everytime I tried for about 30 miles, then pulled off.

All he succeeded in doing was ensure I drove the last 30 odd miles at around 130mph.

But all in all, they're ok, if you're not mardy with them. I was pulled at 90mph in the Motorhome and when stopped he was all smiles and asked how it went that fast. All in all, like most professions, there are good and bad, but in the main, they're not that bad ime

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    A policeman is much more likely to let you go at 99mph on the M5 ...
    A few years back maybe. Not these days, not from what people I know have said. They all basically c*nts. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I don't believe you. You more likely knocked over the bollards and bribed the examiner 100 rupees
    The examiner stayed in the cafe while I do drivings. Any bollard knockings and similar are not being known to him.

You are precise about 100 rupee offerings though. Did you test in India too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X