• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: P*ss P**r pay

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "P*ss P**r pay"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Which explains why your gardener got so rich he could retire when he finished there
    He did retire. He had set up a plan B and had that ticking over on its own generating some beer money, and then he retrained for a hobby. He takes a few jobs a year to design gardens for people he likes. Rest of the time he spend renovating classic cars. not a bad way to have lived for the last 20 odd years

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Except of course that if the "bit of techie stuff" doesn't get done there is no business.

Out of interest, who do you think makes the strategic decisions at companies like Daimler, BMW, Bae, Intel, Siemens? They all have engineers on the board and many of them have engineers at the helm.

No doubt they are all grunts to you.

You can add Royal Bank of Scotland, RBS, BT Retail to that. But one thing is for sure there s no one from IT on any of their boards

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    I've seen several businesses fail because sales people made promises that turned out to be undeliverable.
    OK, but what's the problem if the sales people got nice bonuses and went on quickly to new jobs where they made equally successful promises?

Strategy, strategy.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Yes. My late uncle made a fortune making parts for the British car industry. My gardener worked on the designs for The Concord. Theirs were valuable skills at one time.
    Which explains why your gardener got so rich he could retire when he finished there

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Well that's obviously not true. I've had whole contract where not much has happened. Doesn't mean it wasn't profitable business. FFS, Milan has made a career out of this...in Germany!
    It's obviously not profitable for someone down the line. If you are sat doing nothing then you don't need to be there.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Except of course that if the "bit of techie stuff" doesn't get done there is no business.
    Well that's obviously not true. I've had whole contract where not much has happened. Doesn't mean it wasn't profitable business. FFS, Milan has made a career out of this...in Germany!

Out of interest, who do you think makes the strategic decisions at companies like Daimler, BMW, Bae, Intel, Siemens? They all have engineers on the board and many of them have engineers at the helm.
    I never said SOME Engineers don't make excellent leaders. That's different to listening to all of them.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Has it ever really been any different?
    Yes. My late uncle made a fortune making parts for the British car industry. My gardener worked on the designs for The Concord. Theirs were valuable skills at one time.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Those roles are far more important to business and the economy than the people just "doing a bit of techie stuff."

Last edited by doodab; 22 March 2012, 15:32.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    Engineers viewing themselves as grunts... wouldn't happen in Germany... or at IIT in Mumbai... why is England being passed by? Self-defeating mentality.
    It's got nothing to do with Germany vs the UK.

It's how the globalised world views delivery resource.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    How is listening to grunts going to help? Without sales, grunts are just superfluous overhead.
    Engineers viewing themselves as grunts... wouldn't happen in Germany... or at IIT in Mumbai... why is England being passed by? Self-defeating mentality.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    How is making up some bulltulip and winging it more strategic than working out whether and how something is possible before you commit to doing it?
    You're now making stuff up and extrapolating what I said to an extreme level to try and make the point. I certainly didn't suggest putting lying, bulltulipters in charge. As a former delivery and practice manager I am fully aware of the need to vet commitments from sales to customers. The point darrenb and many others on here seems to miss is that without sales, strategists, business minds etc, none of your projects would likey exist. Those roles are far more important to business and the economy than the people just "doing a bit of techie stuff."

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    How is listening to grunts going to help? Without sales, grunts are just superfluous overhead. It's strategic thinkers and the laws that allow them the flexibility within which to manoeuvre that are required.
    I've seen several businesses fail because sales people made promises that turned out to be undeliverable. Some ******* strategy that turned out to be. How is making up some bulltulip and winging it more strategic than working out whether and how something is possible before you commit to doing it?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    It doesn't matter what budget the Chancellor comes out with. Britain's economy will never recover until people stop listening to sales people and start listening to engineers -- civil, mechanical, software, etc.

It is a sea change in cultural values that is needed, and it is not going to happen overnight, if ever.
    How is listening to grunts going to help? Without sales, grunts are just superfluous overhead. It's strategic thinkers and the laws that allow them the flexibility within which to manoeuvre that are required.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That's what I thought too - managers have always got the big bucks

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Welcome to modern Britain, where actually doing stuff is considered monkeys work and bulltulipting is the only valuable skill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X