• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Procrastination

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Procrastination"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I'm still somewhat undecided as to whether this is a good thread. I'll get back tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    If only there was a way of working like that all the time

I hate to think of all the times I've quickly written something which has wowed the client. Little do they know that it was created in the last afternoon of a 5 day development window (the other 4.5 days spent posting crap on here)
    Right. Two O clock meeting to review document.

Going to start now. Oh tulip tulip tulip!!!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I spent all day procrastinating about a requirements document that has to be reviewed tomorrow afternoon. Frankly I couldn't be bothered, and probably until about lunchtime tomorrow at which point I will madly put something together, which will of course exceed customer expectations.
    If only there was a way of working like that all the time

I hate to think of all the times I've quickly written something which has wowed the client. Little do they know that it was created in the last afternoon of a 5 day development window (the other 4.5 days spent posting crap on here)

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Don't do any work until a few days before the deadline. That way, you'll tulip yourself and work your ass off to complete in fear of being found out, terminated and sued.

Works for me.
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    WHS
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I thought I was the only one doing that. Seems to be standard practice!
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    WMFS

But I wouldn't recommend for every contract (just the dead-end ones)
    I only just got round to this thread as I've spent all morning catching up on Frozen Planet, err I mean on mute on a lengthy boring conf call.. it's almost lunchtime soon

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    set yourself tight deadlines. Meet them and take the rest of the week off for plan b then deliver them at the end of the week.
    next

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    set yourself tight deadlines. Meet them and take the rest of the week off for plan b then deliver them at the end of the week.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I spent all day procrastinating about a requirements document that has to be reviewed tomorrow afternoon. Frankly I couldn't be bothered, and probably until about lunchtime tomorrow at which point I will madly put something together, which will of course exceed customer expectations.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I wanted to give some advice but I need a bit more time to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    That's how I often work as well - in this case, however, there doesn't seem to be a specific or even made up dead-line or goal - it could be that that's killing it for me - I don't see the end of it, when it gets 'done'.
    In software, obviously nothing ever really is done, but you can only progress by setting up goals and sprints and stuff, where I am at the moment, there's no such pressure, thus I feel no urge to do anything....
    That's not a problem. Make up your own goals and objectives and make sure that you're making progress on a deliverable every week. Also ensure you have 3 deliverables* to hand over to them by the end of the contract.

*I don't know. Be creative man, you're a contractor FFS!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Don't do any work until a few days before the deadline. That way, you'll tulip yourself and work your ass off to complete in fear of being found out, terminated and sued.

Works for me.
    WMFS

But I wouldn't recommend for every contract (just the dead-end ones)

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    That is my normal M.O. but I am being micro managed by an on site customer (of my clients) rep.

I may be forced to refuse the extension!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Works for me.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Works for me.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Ask to work from home, then you can cover off the client's work in no time and do what the heck you want with the rest of the day... even take on another client.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    That's how I often work as well - in this case, however, there doesn't seem to be a specific or even made up dead-line or goal - it could be that that's killing it for me - I don't see the end of it, when it gets 'done'.
    In software, obviously nothing ever really is done, but you can only progress by setting up goals and sprints and stuff, where I am at the moment, there's no such pressure, thus I feel no urge to do anything....
    Is this a government contract?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X