• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Speed ticket

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Speed ticket"

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I agree with FA. I lost a banking gig after getting caught speeding. Must depend on the bank though.

Should be a £60 fine and three points. You can refuse it though and ask for the proof, especially if you can get a video. but be careful, i challenged in court and lost, landing up with a bigger fine.
    Because I went to court over it.
    Then you have a criminal conviction. Accepting a fixed penalty ticket does not lead you to get a criminal record. It is a criminal offense but doesn't carry a record. If you went to court argued the toss and lost then you would because courts have to use a criminal record in their proceeding where as fixed penalties do not done under the same system.

Don't tell clients if accepted the NIP and took 3 points and £60 as if you didn't go to court they can't find out as you don't have a criminal record. Simples.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    It also counts as a criminal offense so plenty of banks refuse a contract when they discover this during checks. I know because I have been turned down many times. It also gets the car insurance premiums sky high and has various other consequences.
    Don't take the piss.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Whippy
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Did you name change to hide it ? LTSB may not discover it, they are bloody incompetent but try any US bank like Citi or BOFA.
    I've worked at one of those and another US bank whilst having 2 x SP30's on my license prior to starting either contract.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    It is a miracle anyone manages to pass their test given that it is apparently impossible to drive without breaking the speed limit.
    Funnily enough young Bloggs was taking his test about a month ago when the examiner said to him "you do realise this is a 60 limit?" as he was bimbling along at 30 mph. He passed, so obviously even the test examiners realise what a mess the speed limits are now.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Doesn't work, always. I've been done driving a German registered car in the UK, twice with the congestion charge. They pass the fines onto some collection agency who have some massive database of car owners in Europe and chase it up. Mind you, the best one I ever got was when I parked up in Milton Keynes once. I was standing outside the office where I was working having a fag watching the traffic wardens put a ticket on my car. After they had gone I wondered over to have a look, as I had paid and displayed, and they had written me up for no tax disc. They must have seen that the car was German, not only from the steering wheel on the other side but they had to write the registration down
    Most of the Traffic wardens seem to be of non-UK origin so they probably don't notice. Would explain why no-one seems to ever get done for illegal reg plates despite the huge number there are.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    That is not as easy to do so these days because speed limits are being changed so often and many signs are obscured.

A ten mile country road near me used to be 60 mph all the way. It now has a 30, then 50, 40, 30, 40, 60, 30, 40 , 30 two speed bumps and 20mph. Some stretches of 40 are only a few hundred yards (if that) There are also six speed cameras on route.

Another road comes off the motorway onto a duel carriageway. There are two derestricted signs that obscure a 40mph sign a hundred yards away buried in undergrowth followed by a speed camera.
    It is a miracle anyone manages to pass their test given that it is apparently impossible to drive without breaking the speed limit.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    Bummer...

I am not enjoying London, oh this is my first speed offense, but about a month ago I got a letter with my car photo driving on a bus lane ... FHS I was turning left, and went on the bus lane only a few momnets before... beside many of London streets have signs saying one can use bus lanes in specific time, I got so confused... anyway I had to pay them £60 . . now this...
    Sympathies, I fell for the bus lane scam too when turning left at a roundabout near Wembley.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've got a better system. Drive a foreign registered car...
    Doesn't work, always. I've been done driving a German registered car in the UK, twice with the congestion charge. They pass the fines onto some collection agency who have some massive database of car owners in Europe and chase it up. Mind you, the best one I ever got was when I parked up in Milton Keynes once. I was standing outside the office where I was working having a fag watching the traffic wardens put a ticket on my car. After they had gone I wondered over to have a look, as I had paid and displayed, and they had written me up for no tax disc. They must have seen that the car was German, not only from the steering wheel on the other side but they had to write the registration down

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I've got a better system. Drive a foreign registered car...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    That is not as easy to do so these days because speed limits are being changed so often and many signs are obscured.

A ten mile country road near me used to be 60 mph all the way. It now has a 30, then 50, 40, 30, 40, 60, 30, 40 , 30 two speed bumps and 20mph. Some stretches of 40 are only a few hundred yards (if that) There are also six speed cameras on route.

Another road comes off the motorway onto a duel carriageway. There are two derestricted signs that obscure a 40mph sign a hundred yards away buried in undergrowth followed by a speed camera.
    Ignorance is no excuse, if you are in a new area and unsure of the speed limit do you automatically assume the highest limit?

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    I got the letter, they are not offering me the course, just fixed penalty and 3 points.

Oh well , at least the fixed penalty + raise on my car insurance is cheaper than the course + lost income during that day.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    There is a SECRET SYSTEM that allows you to LEGALLY AVOID ALL SPEEDING PENALTIES!!!

I normally charge £500 to disclose my system, but today I am willing to DISCLOSE the SECRET to all CUKers AT NO CHARGE!!!!?!1!one!!

THE SECRET SYSTEM IS:

Don't break the speed limit.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Shhhhhh. If you tell everyone then we won't have these nice criminal lunatic boy racers paying extra tax. We'll have to pay it instead.

btw - getting your son to take the fall would have been perverting the course of justice. The establishment get quite upset about that.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Special Offer for CUKers

There is a SECRET SYSTEM that allows you to LEGALLY AVOID ALL SPEEDING PENALTIES!!!

I normally charge £500 to disclose my system, but today I am willing to DISCLOSE the SECRET to all CUKers AT NO CHARGE!!!!?!1!one!!

THE SECRET SYSTEM IS:

Don't break the speed limit.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

I agree with FA. I lost a banking gig after getting caught speeding. Must depend on the bank though. ...
    Huh? I'd have thought a bank would _want_ someone with a brace of speeding tickets.

Shows they are likely to be an agressive alpha type, willing to take a few risks, ideal for a trader.

Although for IT perhaps they prefer more submissive docile sorts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X