• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed ticket

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    It also counts as a criminal offense so plenty of banks refuse a contract when they discover this during checks. I know because I have been turned down many times. It also gets the car insurance premiums sky high and has various other consequences.
    I can confirm that is not true at all - I had 9 points on my licence and never once was it acknowledged / mentioned / brought up. During the time I had at least 6 points I worked at 3 differnt banks (one as a permie, 2 as a contractor). And just for good measure, i got done for dangerous driving in USA - again made no differnce.

Can you imagine the conversation from the bank "I am sorry SneakySimon, we want to hire you to PM our new software but I am afraid you were caught speeding so we can't hire you"

Driving Course
    I have done two of these. The first one was half a day looking at pictures of roads and identifying dangers etc - boring and £80 for the pleasure

Second was a day and a half and £120 for the pleasure. Morning of day 1 was a course similar to previous (I was becoming an expert!) the afternoon and following morning was out with an instructer in which we took it in turns to drive then have our driving reviewed! (2 other students in the car). The course are fairly dull, done by middle aged grey men who tut and shake there heads if you say it is fine going 1 mph over the speed limit.

You will all be pleased to note that I have been clear of points for 2 years

Comment

thanks for the info sneaky.

Comment

Oh, is the course offered on the Sat/Sun, or do I have to go during invoice hours

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
          Oh, is the course offered on the Sat/Sun, or do I have to go during invoice hours
          i did mine on a wednesday
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
            Went home last night and found a letter telling me I was speeding, was doing 61mph instead of 50mph on the north circular road..

Its the first time ever, so will I get the course, or the 3 point+ penalty??

P.S: anyone remembers that looooooong thread ATW posted years years ago when he was caught by a speeding camera?? It drove Roger Rabbit to insanity, I actually don't remember the outcome of that thread...
            I would have thought the cut off for the course would be 50mph +10% +3mph, so anything under 58, although it could vary by police force. Normally 3 points isn't going to make any difference to your insurance if you get an SP30, although some forces would ('mistakenly') try to give you an SP60 on a dual carriageway (which your insurance company would rate higher).
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Speed Ticket

The courses are only on workdays I am afraid - a day & a half was therefore very expensive!! I seem to remember having to take the course within 3 months of the offence otherwise I would get points / fine.

Thinking about it, the 1/2 day course was instead of 3 points (did 35 in a 30). Second was a for dangerous driving when I wrote my car off (Police can charge you with dangerous driving with no proof the b'stards!!)

Only good thing is that they courses I did were pretty flexible in location - the first one I got in Liverpool but was able to take the course in Sheffield and I had the same option with the day and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                3 years on your licence for the topping up thing but I believe for insurance and other aspects they can be considered for 5 years. In the old days DVLA did not keep them on record for more than 3 years so the trick was to change address afte three years and get a new licence without the points on it but you are required to tell anyone that asks if they were in the last 5 years. Saying you had none would have been fraud.

I am not sure what the new system does with it after three years nowadays.
                Changing address to get rid of a few expired ponts seems extreme. As for the rest of that I think you are wrong about disclosure but IANAL

Comment

I agree with FA. I lost a banking gig after getting caught speeding. Must depend on the bank though.

Should be a £60 fine and three points. You can refuse it though and ask for the proof, especially if you can get a video. but be careful, i challenged in court and lost, landing up with a bigger fine.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I agree with FA. I lost a banking gig after getting caught speeding. Must depend on the bank though.
                    A bit harsh if you ask me.

You sure it wasn't because you clocked your boss with a right hook?
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      A bit harsh if you ask me.

You sure it wasn't because you clocked your boss with a right hook?
                      Because I went to court over it.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X