• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Size of Warchest?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Size of Warchest?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    You misunderstood my comment. I don't doubt you can pay off your mortgage in super quick time. I just find it rather crass to tell everyone via your autosig.
    It's hardly that vulgar. Not like he's boasting how much he earns per se... paying of a mortgage is a pretty big achievement.

I don't really know how big my WC is since I've balances in $USD and haven't figured out tax recently, but it seems to be of the order of 3 years after 3 years' contracting, if my wife didn't earn at all. Considering we were down to nearly nothing 18 months ago I'm fairly pleased; though if I can gain 1 year WC every year and I'm ~30 and expect to live to ~90 I STILL need to work until I'm 60

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    Indeed. Yes, it is a bit strange - but I am a PM.
    Once I am free of my mortgage, I am then free to go and do something more useful and enjoyable in life (i.e. not IT) without risk. I motivate myself by setting goals hence the sig - not meant to be boasting, all contractors could do it if they chose to do so including the OP thereby reducing the need for a warchest.

I got my first mortgage 15 years ago and moved up since then so I think I'm doing not bad - mainly thanks to contracting and not changing to a contractor lifestyle.

And, I just updated the sig - not been updated for a while. Might change it now though...

Al.
    You misunderstood my comment. I don't doubt you can pay off your mortgage in super quick time. I just find it rather crass to tell everyone via your autosig.

Leave a comment:

• al_cam
    replied
    Really....?!
    Indeed. Yes, it is a bit strange - but I am a PM.
    Once I am free of my mortgage, I am then free to go and do something more useful and enjoyable in life (i.e. not IT) without risk. I motivate myself by setting goals hence the sig - not meant to be boasting, all contractors could do it if they chose to do so including the OP thereby reducing the need for a warchest.

I got my first mortgage 15 years ago and moved up since then so I think I'm doing not bad - mainly thanks to contracting and not changing to a contractor lifestyle.

And, I just updated the sig - not been updated for a while. Might change it now though...

Al.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I have an offset mortgage and pile my dividends into linked accounts, I consider myself fortunate to have almost a positive balance against the mortgage. Should I need the cash then it's in savings and not tied up in paid off mortgage, I suppose I could live off the saved money for several years if I needed to.

Obviously I paid off all outstanding debt first before I started saving and I'm very careful to pay credit card bills in full every month.

There's enough in the company accounts to provide an adequate income for a year or two as well. To me it's common sense to have enough to tide myself over for a year and I'm lucky to be in a better position than that. I've had a few periods where I couldn't find a contract I was prepared to do so sizable a warchest is vital.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Oh look! My dick \ clit is bigger than yours!
    Even a plastic vagina has a bigger dick then you Bolshie. Not much of a boast.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    I hear ya. Yawnsome isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    That and Hellraiser I heard.
    I was the inspiration for that one.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Spot on Chef!

I love that film. Obviously.
    That and Hellraiser I heard.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I think is what MaryP is getting at..

by the way, I saw Mary Poppins last weekend, "quite practically perfect in every way".. good film of which I'd forgotten most but a great alias..
    Spot on Chef!

I love that film. Obviously.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Week 15 of 32 in current contract 12 months gigging until mortgage paid off.
    I think is what MaryP is getting at..

by the way, I saw Mary Poppins last weekend, "quite practically perfect in every way".. good film of which I'd forgotten most but a great alias..

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Its all relative, if he started on a 25 year mortgage, 12 months to go is "nearly".

10 miles to go on a 250 mile journey.
    Oh, I meant I found it curious that his autosig was dedicated to letting us all know his mortgage repayment plan.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Last year I lashed out £500 on a rather swanky Gretsch guitar.

Gretsch G5120 Electromatic LTD BK

It really is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    Originally posted by kandr View Post
    Bigger house Yep
    better car Yep, prettier women Oh yes, great food Lovely, latest gadgets Yep......
    Oh, and a warchest....

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    <snip>I can probably survive a few years and I still don't feel safe from getting turned over again and won't until my investments can cover my fixed costs. </snip>
    Sounds much like me. I need just over £1k a month to cover main (fixed + food for family) costs (at last calculation). But that would be living on the breadline. I'm aiming for £5k a month so that we can enjoy ourselves a bit more . I guess aiming high gives us something to achieve, plus of course the kids are young and my expenses are only ever going to increase in that respect.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X