• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Size of Warchest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an offset mortgage and pile my dividends into linked accounts, I consider myself fortunate to have almost a positive balance against the mortgage. Should I need the cash then it's in savings and not tied up in paid off mortgage, I suppose I could live off the saved money for several years if I needed to.

Obviously I paid off all outstanding debt first before I started saving and I'm very careful to pay credit card bills in full every month.

There's enough in the company accounts to provide an adequate income for a year or two as well. To me it's common sense to have enough to tide myself over for a year and I'm lucky to be in a better position than that. I've had a few periods where I couldn't find a contract I was prepared to do so sizable a warchest is vital.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Really....?!
      Indeed. Yes, it is a bit strange - but I am a PM.
      Once I am free of my mortgage, I am then free to go and do something more useful and enjoyable in life (i.e. not IT) without risk. I motivate myself by setting goals hence the sig - not meant to be boasting, all contractors could do it if they chose to do so including the OP thereby reducing the need for a warchest.

I got my first mortgage 15 years ago and moved up since then so I think I'm doing not bad - mainly thanks to contracting and not changing to a contractor lifestyle.

And, I just updated the sig - not been updated for a while. Might change it now though...

Al.
      Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
        Indeed. Yes, it is a bit strange - but I am a PM.
        Once I am free of my mortgage, I am then free to go and do something more useful and enjoyable in life (i.e. not IT) without risk. I motivate myself by setting goals hence the sig - not meant to be boasting, all contractors could do it if they chose to do so including the OP thereby reducing the need for a warchest.

I got my first mortgage 15 years ago and moved up since then so I think I'm doing not bad - mainly thanks to contracting and not changing to a contractor lifestyle.

And, I just updated the sig - not been updated for a while. Might change it now though...

Al.
        You misunderstood my comment. I don't doubt you can pay off your mortgage in super quick time. I just find it rather crass to tell everyone via your autosig.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          You misunderstood my comment. I don't doubt you can pay off your mortgage in super quick time. I just find it rather crass to tell everyone via your autosig.
          It's hardly that vulgar. Not like he's boasting how much he earns per se... paying of a mortgage is a pretty big achievement.

I don't really know how big my WC is since I've balances in $USD and haven't figured out tax recently, but it seems to be of the order of 3 years after 3 years' contracting, if my wife didn't earn at all. Considering we were down to nearly nothing 18 months ago I'm fairly pleased; though if I can gain 1 year WC every year and I'm ~30 and expect to live to ~90 I STILL need to work until I'm 60
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
          X