• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Size of Warchest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    What do you mean by 'lifestyle of a contractor'?
    Bigger house better car, prettier women, great food, latest gadgets......

Comment

There is only one good size: "growing". If it ain't go back to permiedom and make you're your pension contributions are sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
        Bigger house better car, prettier women, great food, latest gadgets......
        Bigger knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Bigger knobs.
          Yeah thats true, you can but the latest penis enhancing kit.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
            Just go for it, you can always go back to permie if you fail.
            I don't think getting a permie job is that easy right now either. Especially if you're tainted as a contractor.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

be wise, pay off any debts, overpay on your mortage, don't tell your other half how much your earning, stash money in accounts with a pass book only

upgrade your lifestyle by becoming freer then the next man no debt means you are your own boss

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                be wise, pay off any debts, overpay on your mortage, don't tell your other half how much your earning, stash money in accounts with a pass book only
                That's a great way to induce self-fulfilling prophecy.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                  Rasesh, do you like films about Galdiators?
                  Monday morning fail!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I don't think getting a permie job is that easy right now either. Especially if you're tainted as a contractor.
                    I honestly though some of the permies I worked with were mentally impaired, so I don't think t would be much of a difficulty.

Comment

upgrade your lifestyle by becoming freer then the next man no debt means you are your own boss
                      I like this very much - very well put. I couldn't agree more.

don't tell your other half how much your earning
                      Not sure I agree with this but when Mrs C whinges about friends having better phones, tv's or whatever than us I just remind her about things like her 3 day week and our wonderful (nearly paid off) home. Soon shuts her up...
                      Expensive toys are nice but not having to take gigs miles away or being able to take nice long breaks between gigs and spend time with the family is nicer.

I usually build my warchest up at the end of a contract to a year just in case, but at the start of a contract, let it drop a bit. My mortgage is also offset so I could even eat into that worst case but as someone else said - it depends on your attitude to risk.
                      Back at the coal face

Comment

Working...
                      X