• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Unsettling story

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unsettling story"

Collapse

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If only young Mr Walker had had an ice axe, he might have been able to improve the human gene pool by getting rid of both of those inbred pieces of tulipe.
    Oh, don't start that old "ice axes don't kill people, people do" argument again, pur-lease. Just 'cos Stalin got away with it...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Unless the intruder is a Communist, in which case you'll be fine.

Or in Merseyside, where it is a weapon of choice, which brings us back on-topic.
    If only young Mr Walker had had an ice axe, he might have been able to improve the human gene pool by getting rid of both of those inbred pieces of tulipe.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I have an ice axe under my bed. I don't know how a Dutch judge would view my using it to defend myself and Lady Tester against someone breaking in, but I suspect I'd be in some trouble.
    Unless the intruder is a Communist, in which case you'll be fine.

Or in Merseyside, where it is a weapon of choice, which brings us back on-topic.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I've never carried a knife except when going off trekking, and then tucked away in a rucksack.

Having done some mountaineering, I have an ice axe under my bed. I don't know how a Dutch judge would view my using it to defend myself and Lady Tester against someone breaking in, but I suspect I'd be in some trouble. Perhaps not as much trouble as the intruder though;
    Now you mention it, I used to have a poker under the bed. It found its way there when I was ripping up floorboards to pour a load of cement in as part of anti-meeces measures.

I'm not sure that argument would have gone down well with a judge either. I think the best advice I was given for dealing with a break in while you're in bed was to put some shoes on so that the burglars don't think of stamping on your feet, plus you can either chase them or leg it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I used to carry a Swiss Army knife, simply because it was a handy tool for getting into computers, opening wine and beer bottles and cutting finger nails. I never came across a boy scout stuck in a horse's hoof, so found that attachment superfluous.

i didn't carry it as a means of self defence, but once when in an iffy situation I realised it was just the right size to wrap my fist around to add a bit of weight to a punch.
    I've never carried a knife except when going off trekking, and then tucked away in a rucksack.

Having done some mountaineering, I have an ice axe under my bed. I don't know how a Dutch judge would view my using it to defend myself and Lady Tester against someone breaking in, but I suspect I'd be in some trouble. Perhaps not as much trouble as the intruder though;

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    But on a serious note, the lady of the CS residence frequently takes a fork into work to eat her salads and other various rabbit foods. Could she get pulled over and arrested?
    There have been cases where a builder has been done for having a stanley knife in his glove-box or similar. So in theory... probably. But you can be pulled over and arrested for anything, it's what happens after that's more important.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I mean, hands up all those here who have ever carried a knife or similar for self defence
    I used to carry a Swiss Army knife, simply because it was a handy tool for getting into computers, opening wine and beer bottles and cutting finger nails. I never came across a boy scout stuck in a horse's hoof, so found that attachment superfluous.

i didn't carry it as a means of self defence, but once when in an iffy situation I realised it was just the right size to wrap my fist around to add a bit of weight to a punch.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Most fights are won before they start and aggressors will back down if you maintain eye contact and are not intimidated by them.

In other words, 'be a big, muscular hard looking b'stard and it's unlikely anyone will attack you'.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I carry an umbrella.

Which is, under common law, not an offensive weapon.

It is if you carry it with the intention to injure someone with it. R v Petrie [1961].

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Steering wheel lock would be just perfick... Might be a crackdown on taxi drivers rather than normal motorists, only need a few to be made an example of...

Leave a comment:

• Dearnla
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    how about forks, are they banned?

But on a serious note, the lady of the CS residence frequently takes a fork into work to eat her salads and other various rabbit foods. Could she get pulled over and arrested?
    With something like that? Probably.

Unless she could demonstrate conclusively that she is in the habit of eating whole lettuces and needs a fork that big to be able to do so.

No, that doesn't work, does it....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Well a first offence will automatically be suspended, if he were to get 3 months in the first place, which I would doubt more like a fine or community service.

If he did have a conviction that might be why they had an eye on him.

Isn't the 3 months the max they can give you.

It'll probably be a fine, even if he had a conviction, cab driver sleeping with a steak knife, not really the same as a hooded youth caught fighting in a night club.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 October 2010, 14:09.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    how about forks, are they banned?

Last edited by CheeseSlice; 20 October 2010, 13:32.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I didn't say they're perfect.
    hehe

good recovery

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    wrong. the desk sergeant wanted to let him go