• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Size of war chest

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Size of war chest"

Collapse

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    wow respect....to those who can survive no more than two months. That takes balls of steel.
    You should meet my sister. She's on negative time.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Isn't the south perennially short of water, or did they get round to some sort of national grid after all the hosepipe bans a few years back?
    Thatcher privatised the water supply in 1989, so it must be working perfectly

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    eh? I must have missed the water shortages...
    Isn't the south perennially short of water, or did they get round to some sort of national grid after all the hosepipe bans a few years back?

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Ahh plan B - put the wife to work.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    In theory, we could live off the wife's salary (cutting out everything but rent, bills and food - probably selling/mothballing one car) indefinitely, but maintaining our current lifestyle we could last a year.

Leave a comment:

• Number9
    replied
    12 - 18 months and been on the bench for two weeks now - so glad I fixed the roof while the sun was shinning, One month I would be scared ! Very scared !

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    About six months, but now debt free bar the mortgage and have spent lots on house renovations ( leaking roof, rotten windows etc ) that were desperately needed. Contracting for 3 years basically got me out of a deep hole, put a decent sum in the bank and got me to the point where I could afford to go permie again for a bit while work is short.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You southerners can keep your water shortages and high prices...
    eh? I must have missed the water shortages...

Leave a comment:

• Ravello
    replied
    12 months comfortably, 18 months - 2 years living frugally.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I actually don't have to work any more, but I do it so that I can keep paying tax otherwise the government might go bust.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    you got to fix the roof while the suns still shining, end all this boom and bust and have more prudence. loads and loads of prudence.

I can last six months, then its the cardboard box for me

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    Only just started contracting som I'm still in the piles of debt stage, so (the way the missus is currently spending) about 5 minutes!

This time next year, I will only have my mortgage and my missus to wory about

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    wow respect....to those who can survive no more than two months. That takes balls of steel.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    A few years for me. I just went thru the household bills for the first time in a few years after paying them blindly previously. The gas and electricity were suprisingly low, the water double what it should be ( on a meter from previous owner , I suspect the kids/Mrs have left some taps on for a day or two as no leaks to be found ). Council tax is quite a biggie if you are going into bunker mode ! I've primed the Mrs that the cleaner and overseas hols will have to go, if she resists I'll send her back to work.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    About 2 years if I really cut back from day 1.
    Yeah, that's the next question. When should you enter full thrift mode? E.g. Cancelling things like the gym membership, downsize or be rid of the car, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X