• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Size of war chest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow respect....to those who can survive no more than two months. That takes balls of steel.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Only just started contracting som I'm still in the piles of debt stage, so (the way the missus is currently spending) about 5 minutes!

This time next year, I will only have my mortgage and my missus to wory about
      'elf and safety guru

Comment

you got to fix the roof while the suns still shining, end all this boom and bust and have more prudence. loads and loads of prudence.

I can last six months, then its the cardboard box for me

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I actually don't have to work any more, but I do it so that I can keep paying tax otherwise the government might go bust.

Comment

12 months comfortably, 18 months - 2 years living frugally.
            Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              You southerners can keep your water shortages and high prices...
              eh? I must have missed the water shortages...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

About six months, but now debt free bar the mortgage and have spent lots on house renovations ( leaking roof, rotten windows etc ) that were desperately needed. Contracting for 3 years basically got me out of a deep hole, put a decent sum in the bank and got me to the point where I could afford to go permie again for a bit while work is short.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

12 - 18 months and been on the bench for two weeks now - so glad I fixed the roof while the sun was shinning, One month I would be scared ! Very scared !

Comment

In theory, we could live off the wife's salary (cutting out everything but rent, bills and food - probably selling/mothballing one car) indefinitely, but maintaining our current lifestyle we could last a year.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Ahh plan B - put the wife to work.

Comment

Working...
                      X