• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job offer but not sure what to ask for"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Ask Agents and previous employers.

Read adverts for similar organisations.

good luck

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

If you want advice regarding joining a start-up at a senior level then might I suggest a PM to MF? He's been there, seen it, done it and got the 4XL T-Shirt.

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I didn’t apply for it. They gave me a shout.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    You can get a rough idea for CTO roles from various annual salary surveys that are done by some of the big recruiters and a few boutique firms. Some of these have granular detail on size and location of firm.

Looking at one from La Fosse (one of the boutique firms), their numbers for perm CTO salaries are:

Established brand £150-250k
    Startup/scale up £130-160k

I found that rates in this survey seemed a bit on the high side given the current market, something I've seen in some other similar 2023/24 surveys.

One of the key variables will be at what stage is the startup at. Sifted is a well known startup information site published by the FT. Data is from 2021:

Profitable & Sustainable: Up to £175k
    Series B: £75-95k
    Series A: £50-100k

If you want some more accurate numbers there are a couple of other websites out there that have data specifically for startup remuneration but I can't remember them unfortunately.

I guess the biggest variable might be what type of CTO are you and how big is your team? A true CTO will be a senior level leadership position with a significantly higher salary that some startup CTOs who are really just glorified technical leads or devs.

Some kind advice for your next role, make sure you do your detailed research on salary or rates before you even start looking. I find it hard to believe you didn't do this when applying for such a senior role.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

I know better than to think anyone is going to be impressed by someone being offered a job like this at a start up. Most of the people on here could easily do it if they were inclined.
    If you want advice regarding joining a start-up at a senior level then might I suggest a PM to MF? He's been there, seen it, done it and got the T-Shirt.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

What? Specifically In General, like? .
    A question about my personal position did not seem to fit in Business or Accounting etc.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied

It's not a "real" question, it's a "look at me".
    I know better than to think anyone is going to be impressed by someone being offered a job like this at a start up. Most of the people on here could easily do it if they were inclined.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

I know!

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

You aim to be a CTO, and have been one in the past, and can't answer your own question? OK...

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Regarding the first question ("how much do you need?"), you should be able to answer that based on your current spending. I.e. what's the minimum that you'd need to earn in order to maintain your current lifestyle, and what's the minimum you could live off (e.g. to pay mortgage and council tax) if you cancelled Netflix etc?

Whether you should give that figure to the employer is another matter, but it's useful for you to keep in mind.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Ask on glassdoor, people seem to be fairly open there re salaries.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

OK, so why not take your last package and apply the intervening wage inflation rate ( that might need a bit of Googlefu) and use that as the bottom line. The other two would then be percentage increments above that one.
    Actually, that is not a bad idea. It is so simple I literally did not think of doing it!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Cant really bench mark roles like that. Too many factors IMO. Even looking at companies the same size is gonna be hard as you can't see what they earn. Even in a like for like comparison rates are going to vary wildly due to the bargaining power of the people in the role due to them not putting a figure out there and asking each CTO what they want.

Tough one that.
    Yeah, that is what I am finding!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

Pretty much! I have no idea what CTOs are going for these days, not sure why gathering other perspectives would be a bad thing? Previously the offer came from the company and I accepted it, this time it is working the other way around.
    OK, so why not take your last package and apply the intervening wage inflation rate ( that might need a bit of Googlefu) and use that as the bottom line. The other two would then be percentage increments above that one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X