• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Make Britain Great Again"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

ok so my point is proven they were using EU drivers because they were cheaper like most imported staff.
    No that's not what the report said.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

According to your report:

In other words they're still employing EU drivers in spite of Brexit.

ok so my point is proven they were using EU drivers because they were cheaper like most imported staff.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

You might want to look at those exchange rates.

Note after significant disruption post brexit.

https://macstrucks.co.uk/the-ongoing...king-industry/

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...ers/2021-10-19
    According to your report:

The study further highlighted that more than half of those surveyed had already moved at least some parts of their operations to the European Union.
    In other words they're still employing EU drivers in spite of Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

No, your calculation is wrong. German truck drivers earn £36,000 (USD 46,000) and according to this website UK drivers earn £32,300 (EUR 38,000).

https://www.eurowag.com/blog/the-eco...-across-europe
    You might want to look at those exchange rates.

Note after significant disruption post brexit.

https://macstrucks.co.uk/the-ongoing...king-industry/

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...ers/2021-10-19

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

a below average response then.

So Truck drivers in Germany earning £30,000 (near the UK average wage at the time) for a worker that had a fairly rare certificate and worked long hours signals a great reward.

The Polish truck drivers most of us met were here for a reason.
    No, your calculation is wrong. German truck drivers earn £36,000 (USD 46,000) and according to this website UK drivers earn £32,300 (EUR 38,000).

https://www.eurowag.com/blog/the-eco...-across-europe

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Truck drivers in the EU get paid more than in the UK:

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/10...the-most-money
    a below average response then.

So Truck drivers in Germany earning £30,000 (near the UK average wage at the time) for a worker that had a fairly rare certificate and worked long hours signals a great reward.

The Polish truck drivers most of us met were here for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

Minimial chargeable cost to you as a customer maybe but Amazon spent approximately£235B on technology and infrastructure expenses in the last five years, i.e. massive investment.

In contrast, the NHS was given £2B in Spring 2024 for technology transformation. In 2022, £2B was also allocated to improving electronic patient records, something the NHS has been grappling with since at least the late 90s.

I was offered a role at one of the largest NHS trusts in the country a few years ago and turned it down after concluding it all sounded very tulip. I have several friends who work in NHS IT including what used to be NHSX, that was responsible for technology transformation. They do some interesting things but the stumbling block always seems to be so many old systems, taking years to sort out anything to do with data sharing and 'cultural resistance' as tech is done to users.

I really don't know what the answer is or whether comparable countries with large public healthcare systems have much better technology.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-by-industry/

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/insight...nd%20medicines.

so £181 billion with 15% to be spent?

Having just used the NHS extensively it is still disorganised and offering poor customer service away from medical staff. Clinically individuals appear good.

Updating service standards to the levels you would expect in most modern service industries would reduce cost and improve customer experience. Data sharing was tulip as well.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

The thing about many left wing people miss is the multinationals use imported labour to depress labour rates and thanks to Gordon B'ruin's subsidies getting the UK tax payer to pay This was frequently EU labour at cut rates, everyone was shocked when the truck drivers finally got paid above minimum wage when the eastern European drivers left.

I suspect many of the workers are employed illegally and still claim, there is little sanction. Personally I would start teams call based back to work clubs that tie people up during the day so they lose their 'grey economy' jobs.
    Truck drivers in the EU get paid more than in the UK:

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/10...the-most-money

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied

The real problem is organisations doing things badly. Technology gives you massive opportunities to save costs and improve service. Those companies that won't use it to do that will wither.

Amazon provides a superb service at minimal cost. I remembered how much better they are when I placed an order for an obscure part and was offered a week's delivery, no portal, no phone number etc.
    Minimial chargeable cost to you as a customer maybe but Amazon spent approximately£235B on technology and infrastructure expenses in the last five years, i.e. massive investment.

In contrast, the NHS was given £2B in Spring 2024 for technology transformation. In 2022, £2B was also allocated to improving electronic patient records, something the NHS has been grappling with since at least the late 90s.

I was offered a role at one of the largest NHS trusts in the country a few years ago and turned it down after concluding it all sounded very tulip. I have several friends who work in NHS IT including what used to be NHSX, that was responsible for technology transformation. They do some interesting things but the stumbling block always seems to be so many old systems, taking years to sort out anything to do with data sharing and 'cultural resistance' as tech is done to users.

I really don't know what the answer is or whether comparable countries with large public healthcare systems have much better technology.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

ID cards have been brought during WW1 and WW2. The government tried to keep them after WW2 but were challenged in Court, up to the House of Lords, due to how a police officer was demanding ID papers from a man so they were abandoned in 1952.

Major's government wanted to introduce them, then Blair's government finally did for foreign nationals. They were made to abandon them due to legal challenges.

Many people don't want all their information co-ordinated on one UK government database. Scandals plus simple things like credit scoring show what can go wrong when companies and organisations are given access and control to our person information.

Imagine having that co-ordinated to one database. If you had the same name and birth date as someone else who is a fraudster you could easily be mixed up with them every where if there was one database behind it. At least now when credit referring agencies make mistakes government bodies don't rely solely on their data.
    You sure about that? I have seen plenty of poorly managed person data public & Private.

Maybe the Government could do Births, deaths,emigration/immigration,deed poll,gender change, divorces and issue a unique number then police it?

HMRC & NHS have pretty much given up.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Just want to check something here: 49% of voters should be ignored because it’s “the will of the people”, but now 14% of the voters should define how the country is run because of some reason or other.

The man is like Trump - a complete imbecile and a joke, but one who knows how to manipulate the media and the easily influenced.
    That's why the Lib Dems learnt to play within the rules.

Reform and the Greens need to do likewise in 2029 to get more elected MPs.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

I’ve never understood why the parties don’t push mandatory photo ID for all citizens. Unregulated working practices mean that people disappear into the system. This often a push for migrants leaving France as it’s difficult to find work without proper documentation.
    ID cards have been brought during WW1 and WW2. The government tried to keep them after WW2 but were challenged in Court, up to the House of Lords, due to how a police officer was demanding ID papers from a man so they were abandoned in 1952.

Major's government wanted to introduce them, then Blair's government finally did for foreign nationals. They were made to abandon them due to legal challenges.

Many people don't want all their information co-ordinated on one UK government database. Scandals plus simple things like credit scoring show what can go wrong when companies and organisations are given access and control to our person information.

Imagine having that co-ordinated to one database. If you had the same name and birth date as someone else who is a fraudster you could easily be mixed up with them every where if there was one database behind it. At least now when credit referring agencies make mistakes government bodies don't rely solely on their data.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Just want to check something here: 49% of voters should be ignored because it’s “the will of the people”, but now 14% of the voters should define how the country is run because of some reason or other.

The man is like Trump - a complete imbecile and a joke, but one who knows how to manipulate the media and the easily influenced.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

I suspect many of the workers are employed illegally and still claim, there is little sanction. Personally I would start teams call based back to work clubs that tie people up during the day so they lose their 'grey economy' jobs.
    I’ve never understood why the parties don’t push mandatory photo ID for all citizens. Unregulated working practices mean that people disappear into the system. This often a push for migrants leaving France as it’s difficult to find work without proper documentation.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post

In which case you would see the rich supporting them - which you don't. The rich only support the Tories, in the main.
    Well we’ll find out about that, won’t we? Parliamentary rules means that they will have to declare who their donors are.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X