• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Happy St Georges Day"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

hmm so how does that reflect on St Georges day?
    How does it reflect on St George's day seeing English men draped in St George's flag while they hit horses?

I'd suggest that it doesn't reflect well. Perhaps you think otherwise?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Also odd that the Rwanda law passed without the English Tories maybe the other parties think its the best option?
    They didn't avoid voting for it, they avoided getting involved in a debate that might have involved intelligence or morals.

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    Also odd that the Rwanda law passed without the English Tories maybe the other parties think its the best option?
    Eh?

https://www.politico.eu/article/rish...-bill-vote-win

"In the end only a handful of Tories voted against the contentious asylum bill."

Other parties opposed it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

FTFY
    I'm sure your family fly white flags because of their interbreeding.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Ah, the British, who were hitting police horses yesterday. Is anyone who complains about hitting horses an idiot in your opinion?

I'm not in Rwanda, I had tried to point out earlier the story you will have not been told (none of the far right press covered it) that while the British parliament were debating the Rwanda policy, the government invited its English MPs to go to the PM's office for drinks during the debate.
    hmm so how does that reflect on St Georges day?

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

nurse he is rambling again!
    The post was about St Georges day and flying the St George's flag being mostly done by spittle flecked English fascists.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Haven't read the full thread so might be throwing myself straight in to the firing line but I do find it disappointing the fact that there is such strong opinion over the flags, whichever one you prefer to fly. The article one one in eight Labour voters finding it offense is a bit shocking and I'm really not happy with Addidas messing with the flag either etc. I like the idea of a bit of patriotism and people having pride in the flag, particularly around events and the like but it's disappointing it causes so much controversy. Talking to my circle of friends and family so many won't put it out just because it's not worth the hassle. I wouldn't go as far as to say afraid, but it's just easier not to so as to avoid an negative opinions which I think is a great shame.

People roll it out at events and street parties and nothing goes wrong so just get on and do what makes you happy I guess but still disappointing to see all the negativity around it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

The post was about St Georges day and flying the St George's flag being dismissed by idiots.
    Ah, the British, who were hitting police horses yesterday. Is anyone who complains about hitting horses an idiot in your opinion?

Now suddenly you are in Rwanda. Which as you say is a British decision not just an English one like many others made in Westminster.
    I'm not in Rwanda, I had tried to point out earlier the story you will have not been told (none of the far right press covered it) that while the British parliament were debating the Rwanda policy, the government invited its English MPs to go to the PM's office for drinks during the debate.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Last I saw, the Rwanda policy was not an "English Only" thing. It was debated across the house and in the HoL (where, contrary to Sunak and the gutter press, it is not a majority Labour house), and it was the tory MPs who were getting drunk while blaming it on those less fortunate.

But you continue believe you are right, stick your head in the sand and ignore the facts.
    The post was about St Georges day and flying the St George's flag being dismissed by idiots.
    Now suddenly you are in Rwanda. Which as you say is a British decision not just an English one like many others made in Westminster.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Yep you got it wrong. I didn't.

They call it Devolution, the English nowadays don't vote on many Scottish, Welsh or Irish issues. Before that Britain was ruled from London.
    Last I saw, the Rwanda policy was not an "English Only" thing. It was debated across the house and in the HoL (where, contrary to Sunak and the gutter press, it is not a majority Labour house), and it was the tory MPs who were getting drunk while blaming it on those less fortunate.

But you continue believe you are right, stick your head in the sand and ignore the facts.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by saddokingbilly View Post

yip yap
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

[URL] my Scottish & Welsh friends were unhappy about when I was a kid.

aye, - right!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You're mixing up English and British, two different things.
    As for flag flying, there's plenty of it, just look for white transits when the "two world wars and one world cup" brigade are out in force.

It wasn't Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish MPs that weer invited to the PM's office for wine and cheese before/during the Rwanda debate last night.

So, when people complain about how they are not allowed to do things, they are only talking about one part of Britain, they don't seem to care about the rest.
    Or am I wrong there?
    Yep you got it wrong. I didn't.

They call it Devolution, the English nowadays don't vote on many Scottish, Welsh or Irish issues. Before that Britain was ruled from London.
    The St George's cross is English and the Turkish Dragon slayer is England's Patron saint. other parts of the union differ so my observation was relevant.

The Scottish & Welsh flags are proudly displayed in my experience. There is no suggestion that flying either flag is only done by a lesser type of citizen by our MPs despite the overt racism demonstrated by the SNP. NI uses Saltire but its somewhat overtaken by the Ulster one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Northern_Ireland

Having insulted the display of the St George's cross in the same way as some UK MPs you have proved my point.

As to Empire it was established by England in the 16th & 17th centuries, The reason we went into a Union with Scotland and made them part of the UK in 1707 was that after their ambitions of Empire left them destitute we had to bail them out. Wales & Ireland reluctantly belonged to England. Until devolution in the late 20th century they were all ruled by the English Parliament something my Scottish & Welsh friends were unhappy about when I was a kid.

https://www.history.com/news/united-...-ireland-wales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...th%20centuries.
    Last edited by vetran; 23 April 2024, 18:22.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Sadly the English are constantly apologising for supposed past crimes. If only if Belgium had had the largest Empire, the Arabs the most slaves (well they killed the most) and if those nice Spanish/Portuguese ruled the waves!

Our national flag is derided by the lefties imagine a French Politician complaining the Tricolore was being displayed in Normandy etc. Similar for other nations. In America their flag is everywhere.
    You're mixing up English and British, two different things.
    As for flag flying, there's plenty of it, just look for white transits when the "two world wars and one world cup" brigade are out in force.

It wasn't Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish MPs that weer invited to the PM's office for wine and cheese before/during the Rwanda debate last night.

So, when people complain about how they are not allowed to do things, they are only talking about one part of Britain, they don't seem to care about the rest.
    Or am I wrong there?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

It's interesting that SOME of the English whinge about how it's so unfair, when the only ones going on about it are SOME of the English claiming it's unfair and projecting that the rest of the world even cares enough to hate them.
    Can't you just shove a firework up your backside and stop telling the rest of the world how you want to believe we think?
    Sadly the English are constantly apologising for supposed past crimes. If only if Belgium had had the largest Empire, the Arabs the most slaves (well they killed the most) and if those nice Spanish/Portuguese ruled the waves!

Our national flag is derided by the lefties imagine a French Politician complaining the Tricolore was being displayed in Normandy etc. Similar for other nations. In America their flag is everywhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X