• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lost the plot completely"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Well Ms Braverman's article was certainly a rabble-rouser

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67390514

The Met Police has condemned "extreme violence from right-wing protesters" who it says set out to confront Saturday's pro-Palestinian march.

Nine officers were injured and 145 people arrested - the "vast majority" of whom were counter-protesters.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    And it continues

BBC News - No 10 disowns Suella Braverman article attacking police over protests https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67368785

Home Secretary Suella Braverman is facing questions about her future after defying Downing Street over an article accusing the police of bias.

She claimed aggressive right-wing protesters were "rightly met with a stern response", while "pro-Palestinian mobs" were "largely ignored".

The article was not cleared by Downing Street and suggested changes to the text were not followed, No 10 said.

Some Tories have called for the home secretary to be sacked.

It comes ahead of a Pro-Palestinian march for a ceasefire in Gaza, which is due to take place in central London on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    She was busy yesterday getting people like Nicolas Soames annoyed -

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/pro-pales...-grandson-lbc/

and today she has done this -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67364745

Edited to say - she is good at uniting people.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 9 November 2023, 08:20.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

That's because she'll be Prime Minister before he is.
    Just before, possibly.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Kier Starmer thinks Cruella needs to be sacked

That's because she'll be Prime Minister before he is.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    https://news.sky.com/story/joe-lycet...ments-13002507

Joe Lycett has raised more than £50,000 for a homelessness charity in response to Suella Braverman's comments about rough sleeping - and sent a message to the home secretary.
    The 35-year-old comedian told his 1.4 million Instagram followers he wanted to support the charity Crisis after Mrs Braverman branded the use of tents by the homeless "a lifestyle choice".

Uploading a stock image of potpourri, Lycett, who has been a vocal critic of the home secretary in the past, said: "My old friend Suella Braverman has described rough sleeping as a 'lifestyle choice'.

"I always thought lifestyle choices were things such as cargo pants, fishing and decorating your bathroom with a bowl of potpourri.

"I want to see if this image I found on Google, described as 'wooden botanical fragrant potpourri bowl with lemon', can raise £50,000 for homelessness charity Crisis UK."

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

You seem to be confusing begging with homelessness. They're not the same thing.
    I agree entirely, and I'm not confusing anything at all, I was simply responding to vetran's comments. I volunteer for my local homeless charity so I'm reasonably familiar with the landscape.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Kier Starmer thinks Cruella needs to be sacked

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Nah you missed the bit in the legislation that covered begging.

Two separate issues but are frequently conflated by the lefties.
    e.g. Beggars beg because they are homeless.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post

In my town the "homeless" beggars are pretty much all drug/alcohol addicts who have a room in a hostel, or better, and can be quite aggressive in their demands to unsuspecting folk. There are some genuinely homeless people but they tend not to beg and quite a few of them are holding down jobs.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    one solution!

Click image for larger version

Name:	69197-b90015e5-d19e-4f71-af28-a588f6173720.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	4277586

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Every major supermarket now has at least one beggar outside.
    Its big business.

Now if only we had built some flaming houses we would have somewhere to put the homeless.
    In my town the "homeless" beggars are pretty much all drug/alcohol addicts who have a room in a hostel, or better, and can be quite aggressive in their demands to unsuspecting folk. There are some genuinely homeless people but they tend not to beg and quite a few of them are holding down jobs.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    How do you fine someone who doesn't have any money?

Also, does the bill include the cost of a reintegration programme for people who have been long-term living on the streets and have no idea how to cope with living indoors, how to maintain the property, how to pay the bills, etc etc etc?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'm torn on this one. People have to have some where safe to slip but giving in to the easiest route is going to cause a problem we can't come back from. I don't think giving everyone carte blanche to use tents is the way. It's going to get worse and worse to point it looks like something from the US scare stories. They will be everywhere. But we have to have something in place to counter it, which it appears they don't. Tough situation.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Every major supermarket now has at least one beggar outside.
    Its big business.

Now if only we had built some flaming houses we would have somewhere to put the homeless.

badly targeted I agree.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X