• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Inflation - car insurance"

Collapse

• woody1
    replied
    Just got a quote to change my 2007 TT to a 2019 TT. Same performance & insurance group.

Current insurance (incl. breakdown cover): £222
    New insurance (incl. breakdown cover): £499

Not as bad as our neighbour's 200% price hike but still a 125% increase.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Happy days. Whats the rules about points nowadays. It used to be on your paper licence for two years but had to disclose them for five years until the expired under the rehabilitation act. Some of the articles say they stay on your licence for four to eleven years now. How long since you had the points and what did the insurance people say?
    Happened in 2020 during lockdown - 97mph in a 70mph limit. Camera van on the A55 heading eastbound up the hill. During the time I was looking after Mum's horses after she'd died. All handled online but Magistrates Court was involved. No issues with renewing my "Clearance" so all good. Funnily enough I'd just met up with Brillo for a chat - can't really blame him though...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Happy days. Whats the rules about points nowadays. It used to be on your paper licence for two years but had to disclose them for five years until the expired under the rehabilitation act. Some of the articles say they stay on your licence for four to eleven years now. How long since you had the points and what did the insurance people say?
    Asking for a friend?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Just received my renewal quote - £700 cheaper this year...
    The reason being that the 5 points I had on my licence have fallen off

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Just received my renewal quote - £700 cheaper this year...
    The reason being that the 5 points I had on my licence have fallen off

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    Elderly neighbour just changed her car, for a similar small hatchback, and had a nasty surprise.

Previous car: 2007 VW Polo, insurance £300
    New car: 2018 Hyundai i10, cost approx £8k, insurance £900

She rang around other insurers (incl. Churchill, Admiral) and none were any cheaper. Some were quoting over £1000.

If, like me, you're thinking of changing your car, it might be worth checking the cost of insurance first.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    well on the German cars its easy to explain why, they
    1. All have faulty indicators.
    2. The Bonnet is obviously so long they don't understand stopping distance and travel an inch from your boot.
    3. Undertaking, swerving across the lanes and poor driving is obviously part of driver training.
    Not many of those nutters in this area, mostly just female drivers which don't really understand the size of their X3 / X5s or the new electrics and doing dickish moves on roundabouts (crossing lanes and then being surprised when you beep at them) or people parking like idiots. But I guess if there's more accidents involving a particular brand, you are automatically paying a higher premium...

Never liked the 1 series, 140 might be fun, but they are tiny cars (ie. bugger all fits in them in terms of DIY / furniture etc), 3/5 series is where the interest is, especially estates as sedans have retarded boots (ask me how I know...).

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Getting close to 40, but after reading this I guess all is clear:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...sh-study-finds

Serves me right for driving a "performance" car
    well on the German cars its easy to explain why, they
    1. All have faulty indicators.
    2. The Bonnet is obviously so long they don't understand stopping distance and travel an inch from your boot.
    3. Undertaking, swerving across the lanes and poor driving is obviously part of driver training.

I have driven a speedy Subaru and they are for nutters like the top end Alfas were.

Porsches most of the drivers are so old they die at the wheel.

which one are you? I'm guessing a 1 series.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Do mercedes drivers get lower premiums?

As a pedestrian and when on a bike I noticed the ones in my area have better manners.

Anyway my current insurer is about £10 cheaper than the quotes I've found and offer me a lower excess.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Your age? (That's probably the biggest factor affecting premiums.)

Annual mileage has a bearing too. (I seem to recall LM doesn't use the car that much, so maybe she has declared a low annual mileage.)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Post code is an A bracket which is good to know if ever I have to pay for car insurance
    (permie benefit, as part of the car allowance)
    Reads post, checks forum name...

Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	4277617

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Post code is an A bracket which is good to know if ever I have to pay for car insurance
    (permie benefit, as part of the car allowance)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    Insured with Saga when I got my new car in October 2022 on a 3 year deal so the price stays the same, glad I did
    Do you have to report changing your hair rinse colour as a change in circumstances with them?

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    Insured with Saga when I got my new car in October 2022 on a 3 year deal so the price stays the same, glad I did

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I think, as SE said, my policy renewed before the great increase. Just ran a quote search on compare the market and the lowest came in at £457
    Seems like you've fallen out of the Hottie demographic...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X