• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should a mortgage be redeemed if almost paid off?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    In some religions a mortgage is usury and so a sin. Hence it would be illegal to take one in the first place. And I do think there is something there.
    That'd be Islam then. They get round it by buying the house and you paying them rent until you've bought the house off them.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    In some religions a mortgage is usury and so a sin. Hence it would be illegal to take one in the first place. And I do think there is something there.

I would get rid of any debt out of principle because as a man (or a woman) you do not want to own anything to anyone.

One another note I thought this was a contractor forum where people buy the neighbours house out of spite and to house their second Porsche.
    Not one giving fringe advice on weaseling around silly financial rules.

We are normalising slavery (mortgage as a death grip) too much. If contracts cannot afford houses paid upfront then who can? Aliens?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    My mortgage balance is about £100 due to overpayment. I am now on lenders variable rate (5.99%) with 8years to go and no ERC. Should the mortgage be redeemed? I'm worried the lack of a mortgage could have a negative impact on my credit score since I rarely use my credit card. There is also cost to storing the deeds to consider.

I plan to extend or purchase another property within the next 1.5yrs (depending on a lot of factors) so not entirely mortgage free.

Change the mortgage at the next opportunity to an £85k offset mortgage.
    Put £85k in the offset savings.
    Free mortgage (other than setup fees so just get a high interest one with low fees) and £85k flexible finance available at the drop of a hat.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Though appearing on Y&Y or Moneybox to waffle on about it appeals to some.

And we all thought that this was a joke:
    Beverly hill cops reminds me of growing up. Our VCR chewed up a friend's tape and he refused to loan me Police academy and Dirty Harry!

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Personally I wouldn't bother redeeming the mortgage, keep it open for your above reasons. Make sure you tell the lender what you wish to do as they could take your last payment as part of their standard payment cycle and force your hand.
    I wish I had asked this question earlier last week and would have not reduced the balance to that level. My thoughts was that mortgage wont bee redeemed till my term ends out or I initiate it but them forcing my hand kind of makes sense. I'll call them to confirm.

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I would be keeping the mortgage going because the mortgage charge makes it very difficult for the property to be sold via fraud..
    Scary!, Never thought of fraud part.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    I would be keeping the mortgage going because the mortgage charge makes it very difficult for the property to be sold via fraud..
    ^^^ This.

Though appearing on Y&Y or Moneybox to waffle on about it appeals to some.

And we all thought that this was a joke:

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    According to Experian:

No, paying off your mortgage early won't have a significant effect on your credit scores.

A mortgage paid in full will remain on your credit reports at the three national credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion and Equifax) for 10 years as a "closed account in good standing." At the end of that time, if you haven't taken out a new mortgage, your credit scores may drop slightly because of a reduced credit mix and lower average age of your accounts.
    https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...mortgage-early

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    My mortgage balance is about £100 due to overpayment. I am now on lenders variable rate (5.99%) with 8years to go and no ERC. Should the mortgage be redeemed? I'm worried the lack of a mortgage could have a negative impact on my credit score since I rarely use my credit card. There is also cost to storing the deeds to consider.

I plan to extend or purchase another property within the next 1.5yrs (depending on a lot of factors) so not entirely mortgage free.

Personally I wouldn't bother redeeming the mortgage, keep it open for your above reasons. Make sure you tell the lender what you wish to do as they could take your last payment as part of their standard payment cycle and force your hand.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    started a topic Should a mortgage be redeemed if almost paid off?

Should a mortgage be redeemed if almost paid off?

Working...
X