• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Help Wanted: Need to buy a car for the Mrs"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    See my suggestions in your other thread where you got the Q7.
    I thought that thread was only last year. Turns out it was 4+ years ago...

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...-what-car.html

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    https://www.kia.com/uk/new-cars/niro/

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    See my suggestions in your other thread where you got the Q7.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    feck's sake Malvolio, you posted such a great response and then finished it off with what does the other half want, that's like telling IT to talk to the End Users about their requirments

fer feck's sake

what the feck has happened here during my 9 year stretch as a permie ?

Milan.
    OK, fair shout. Too many years in Service Management I suppose!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    feck's sake Malvolio, you posted such a great response and then finished it off with what does the other half want, that's like telling IT to talk to the End Users about their requirments

fer feck's sake

what the feck has happened here during my 9 year stretch as a permie ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    small 4wd 4x4 - the italians don't make https://www.carwow.co.uk/fiat/panda-4x4 for the sake of it.

A friend has one and they are great fun to drive.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Volvo's are good, mine coped fine with bad weather. Landies are fragile and overpriced. Ditto BMWs. 2nd hand Lexus SUVs are brilliant and affordable (and very comfortable). Assorted VW Group cars offer 4WD (the R versions are a hoot). Quite a few excellent Japanese and Korean hybrids can do 4WD as well. Perhaps better to buy a sensible car and keep a Vitara or something similar in the garage: how often will lit be used?

But 4WD doesn't actually matter a damn unless you have suitable tyres. Even a Rangie can't handle snow and ice very well on basic road tyres.

Stupid question perhaps - what does the other half want?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    we've got an X5 so don't really need another big suv

Milan.
    Well you could always go for one of these, if its a second car and for the snow. I do remember reading a review where they said its slightly better than an agricultural vechicle but it would be fun, just not on motorways. Seriously though the defender looks great, i would have one in a second.

The Suzuki Jimny | Small SUV Off-Road Car | Suzuki Cars UK

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    well I'd prefer to avoid those cars where you are the airbag

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    one of these then
    https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/best-cars...st-cars-to-buy

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    we've got an X5 so don't really need another big suv

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Wife has the XC90 and it's a fantastic car. Not sure how good the all wheel drive is compared to a defender but its good enough for muddy fields.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I know what you mean with the LR

will have a look for an xDrive 320d

Unless anyone's got a better idea

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    since I am now in my notice period and onboarding to me contract, I will be in due course losing the permie company car

and we'll need to get a car for the Mrs

what shall we get ?

Must have: 4 wheel drive - we get a lot of snow in the winter

I am thinking about a new shape Defender 90

or a simple 3 series bmer, like a 320d

whatta you all thinks ?

Milan.

Milan.
    Beamer the indicators will be in factory condition and the front grill will have been replaced multiple times after they scraped the car in front's derriere off it.

Problem with new landies they cost a fortune to fix.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    started a topic Help Wanted: Need to buy a car for the Mrs

Help Wanted: Need to buy a car for the Mrs

since I am now in my notice period and onboarding to me contract, I will be in due course losing the permie company car

and we'll need to get a car for the Mrs

what shall we get ?

Must have: 4 wheel drive - we get a lot of snow in the winter

I am thinking about a new shape Defender 90

or a simple 3 series bmer, like a 320d

whatta you all thinks ?

Milan.

Milan.

Working...
X