• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: OpenAI ChatGPT

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "OpenAI ChatGPT"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Can this AI detect if it is talking to AI?
    Someone must have tried plugging it back into itself. Like the takeaway game.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Can this AI detect if it is talking to AI?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    And, again, individual lecturers don't need to have the first clue about the threat or its detection because, in my experience, all major unis require students to submit an electronic copy of each essay and they are autoscreened and scored for plagiarism prior to marking (using AI and other techniques backed by databases).

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Have you tested that? I asked the same question days apart and got different answers. The material it read from may have changed but in something like this system, it is always changing.

It may be easy to detect now, but it's hardly been round any time at all as yet. What you can do is compare the writing style of a student's essay against something they wrote unaided in controlled conditions. That tech has been around a while. You can also quiz a student about their essay (like a viva) and if they can't answer basic questions about it, fail them.
    If you're getting substantively (vs. superficially) different answers for the same question, that doesn't really lend itself to a high quality essay

As I said earlier in this thread, any technology that can be turned to answering questions can also be turned to detecting questions answered by the technology and that's indeed what is happening (and has been for ages). It isn't much different than SecOps, it's always responding to new threats but mitigating them isn't futile by any means. This isn't going to mark a step change in students getting away with cheating.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I doubt they tried very hard. Afterall, it's deterministic, right? If you ask the same thing twice, you'll get largely the same answer, varying only as the source material varies.
    Have you tested that? I asked the same question days apart and got different answers. The material it read from may have changed but in something like this system, it is always changing.

It may be easy to detect now, but it's hardly been round any time at all as yet. What you can do is compare the writing style of a student's essay against something they wrote unaided in controlled conditions. That tech has been around a while. You can also quiz a student about their essay (like a viva) and if they can't answer basic questions about it, fail them.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I know they're not slaves really, as it's a decent wage for the area, but where's the fun in that?

I'm all for it, the world is getting smaller if we work together it can get better.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Labour in a lower cost country possibly, not apparently Slaves from that story, as much of the world lives on less than a dollar a day $16 dollars seems like luxury.

Like India China as we trade more with them the standard of living will rise, Kenya will move away from poverty and war. That has to be a good thing.

We do need to impose minimum labour standards on the outsourcing so we don't have five year olds making iPhones etc.
    I know they're not slaves really, as it's a decent wage for the area, but where's the fun in that?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Apparently not. You can further tweak the answer by reading what it's done and tweaking the input so after a number iterations it's unrecognisable from the first draft. They asked this on the show.
    Sure you can, it isn't a random number generator and AI can be turned easily enough to the problem of recognising other AI. Read the link I provided by way of example or watch this short video, it briefly addresses some of the things you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g85a...annel=Turnitin

And, again, these sort of tools are automatically applied to every student essay before you even look at them, the ChatGPT thing is just an evolution of the problem (and solution).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

You would ask it to give you an essay plan or the major bullet points to include. And then write the essay prose yourself, in your own words. But I guess most students are even lazier or leave it to the last minute, and just want a fully complete answer.
    I think we'd be surprised how much effort they'd put in to avoid doing it themselves.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I doubt they tried very hard. Afterall, it's deterministic, right? If you ask the same thing twice, you'll get largely the same answer, varying only as the source material varies. It should be easy enough to develop a cheating muppet evaluator using, say, OpenAI. These tools are already used by universities - I left university teaching a long time ago but, even back then, essays were being pre-screened by software for plagiarism and given a rating. A key feature of these tools is to compare across essays within a database for similarities, so anything roughly deterministic will be caught. It will be easy enough to improve that software too. It's always reactive, but it can react quickly.

https://www.turnitin.com/blog/sneak-...ion-capability
    Apparently not. You can further tweak the answer by reading what it's done and tweaking the input so after a number iterations it's unrecognisable from the first draft. They asked this on the show.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

You would ask it to give you an essay plan or the major bullet points to include. And then write the essay prose yourself, in your own words. But I guess most students are even lazier or leave it to the last minute, and just want a fully complete answer.
    Seems less work to write your own essay....

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Could you not ask ChatGPT to write the essay in a certain style that would stop easy comparisions?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Could you not ask ChatGPT to write the essay in a certain style that would stop easy comparisions?
    Yes, sure, cretin style, and then you'd get marked as a cretin.

Overall, students are pretty thick and get caught all the time. That has always been the way and technology has been a part of cheating (and catching cheats) forever.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

I doubt they tried very hard. Afterall, it's deterministic, right? If you ask the same thing twice, you'll get largely the same answer, varying only as the source material varies. It should be easy enough to develop a cheating muppet evaluator using, say, OpenAI. These tools are already used by universities - I left university teaching a long time ago but, even back then, essays were being pre-screened by software for plagiarism and given a rating. A key feature of these tools is to compare across essays within a database for similarities, so anything roughly deterministic will be caught. It will be easy enough to improve that software too. It's always reactive, but it can react quickly.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    and was impossible to flag as plagarism

Leave a comment:

Working...
X