• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "40-hour ambulance waits"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post
    He said end of life, not colorectal
    I was thinking more "Lord Dawson" rather than "Road Trip".

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Nhs pys out over 2 bln of compensations already - death will probably get compensation of less than a million, so probably cheaper that than payraise to get service working …
    wait till you see this one!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...il-30-000.html

E-scooter rider, 22, who broke her leg when she hit pothole while riding on road illegally sues council for £30,000 in landmark case
    • Giovanna Drago, 22, crashed an e-scooter into a pothole in Barnet, north London
    • Mrs Drago smashed her leg in the accident in October 2020 while riding illegally
    • She is suing the local authority for £30,000 damages, despite breaking the law
    • Her lawyers say she deserves a payout because it took 20 months for leg to heal
    who is for Shakespeare's solution?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    What I don't get is ... and maybe some of the ex military on here can answer ... but if the army can be pulled in if nurses etc go on strike then why can't we call on the army to help during these other times when the NHS is stretched to breaking?

We, the tax payer, is paying for the army bods. They are trained, so why can't we use them to help out?
    1989–1990 British ambulance strike - Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    What happened to Boris' 40 new hospitals?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    until someone dies in an UBER / Taxi and they refuse to supply the service or sue the NHS for millions.
    Nhs pys out over 2 bln of compensations already - death will probably get compensation of less than a million, so probably cheaper that than payraise to get service working …

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Emergency ambulances only for serious accidents (RTA etc), life threatening injuries or real medical emergencies (CA, stroke)?
    until someone dies in an UBER / Taxi and they refuse to supply the service or sue the NHS for millions.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

That'll come in handy for easing your passage etc.
    He said end of life, not colorectal

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

They shut those down because they weren't big & shiny.

There were several around here but they've all gone now.

But we've got a new hospital in the fallout zone from the Margam steelworks to make up for it.
    They need to grasp the nettle and charge councils for bed blockers needing care homes.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I suppose partly there is the optics of it (which I couldn't care less about but being realistic is a factor). Beyond that, well what specifically would they do? If there is a 24 hour queue of ambulances waiting at the hospital, getting patients to the hospital faster is a minimal gain and presumably there is a shortage of ambulances anyway if they're all stacked up.

The military do have their own hospitals and medical staff and they certainly have the ability to basically do instant pop-up hospitals but is emergency field medicine of the same level as the NHS.

It really is startling how bad it has all gotten. We grow up taking for granted that while there may be long waiting lists, you will get seen in a real emergency and you won't die because they couldn't get to you. But not the case. It's actually affecting some decisions I make knowing that the consequences could be far more significant, or at least making be consider more explicitly the risks.
    Actually frequently their experience is saving lives

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...es-179230.html

Doctors are to be trained in battlefield surgery to cope with the rising number of stabbing and gunshot victims in inner-city hospitals.

Medical staff at two London hospitals will be taught the emergency techniques on an intensive course that until now has been used to prepare military surgeons for frontline treatment of troops in the Balkans and Afghanistan.
    As alluded to in previous posts if the NHS were better organised life would be a whole lot better,

The story I posted about st Guys/Thomas' doing a weeks operation in a day shows how much organisation would help. There was little extra cost making the operating theatre work harder.

My relative needed urgent day surgery months ago, he was having the heart events then, they should have attached a battery monitor to him and diagnosed the need for a pacemaker. Instead he nearly died, had 5 days in hospital in the cardiac ward.

Things are changing though I have been signed up for a few screening programs based on my medical history and others have commented they are having the same experience. Moving those decisions away from GPs.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    What we need is something like the old convalescent hospitals.
    They shut those down because they weren't big & shiny.

There were several around here but they've all gone now.

But we've got a new hospital in the fallout zone from the Margam steelworks to make up for it.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

how do you fix that?
    Difficult one - the culture in the uk is one of I paid my taxes they can sort me out..... Especially the older generation.....

I know my elderly Dad is like that. He had carers that he cancelled, because they couldnt come at 930am every day (it was anywhere between 7 and 11). In his head he couldnt work out they'd need about 10 times more carers if EVERYONE wanted 930am. But "I paid my taxes"

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Emergency ambulances only for serious accidents (RTA etc), life threatening injuries or real medical emergencies (CA, stroke)?
    Alas we live in a society where we're scared to say no to people just in case....

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No you didn't. What an utterly moronic comment to make. Please don't jump into conversations just to make silly insults.
    or what? you get your little god to smite me? you don't own this forum pal, much as you think you do.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

i thought
    No you didn't. What an utterly moronic comment to make. Please don't jump into conversations just to make silly insults.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    [QUOTE=d000hg;n4244706 It's actually affecting some decisions I make knowing that the consequences could be far more significant, or at least making be consider more explicitly the risks.

[/QUOTE]

i thought your god would look after you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X