• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who's got the biggest and smallest energy bills here?"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    I live in a 4 bed detached house in Scotland, built in 2006.

Family of 3. I'm with OVO for both gas and electricity, have a credit of £550 and my current DD is £140.

Higher than last year but could be worse.
    I loss my tulip with my energy supplier and demanded my credit back
    THey tried to weasel out if it until I shamed them in public.

Then they recalculated my bills and without the price cap I should be paying now what they were charging me for 6 months.

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    I
    I lived in victorian houses and old tenement flats in Glasgow and Edinburgh in the past. Never again.
    Where you ignorant enough to own them or was it just bad luck you ended up living in them?

Oh and the thing with the energy price comparisons is I never put my heating on until after the clocks go back as I'm in London. And even then I move around to work I the warmest room of my home depending on the time of day.

Leave a comment:

• mookiemoo
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Why do you want 8 men in a hot tub?
    Because when we were buying it six years ago, it was a cancelled order and cheaper than the smaller one we had been looking at but had more powerful jets and a speaker system,.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    I live in a 4 bed detached house in Scotland, built in 2006.

Family of 3. I'm with OVO for both gas and electricity, have a credit of £550 and my current DD is £140.

Higher than last year but could be worse.

I lived in victorian houses and old tenement flats in Glasgow and Edinburgh in the past. Never again.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I'm a bit surprised no other contractors live in big, sprawling, old houses in the country though. Are you all in mid-terrace suburban new-builds
    Mine is detached, built in 1978, but pretty well insulated with Shell Bonded Beading. Had attic insulation and double glazing doors & windows since we moved in.

Latest quarterly bill from OVO, for both gas & leccie, after the £66 rebate, was £3.90.
    Damn it!!! That beats my £2.32 a month.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Latest quarterly bill from OVO, for both gas & leccie, after the £66 rebate, was £3.90.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Victorian INKSPE try Cromwellian flaming freezing!

4 bed 1960s detached in a Village in the Slough postcode.

insulated walls & loft. too many electrical gadgets.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well I don't but it could realistically be £600 in the coldest months. Detached, solid brick Victorian build with single glazed wooden sash windows.

I'm a bit surprised no other contractors live in big, sprawling, old houses in the country though. Are you all in mid-terrace suburban new-builds
    I grew up in Victorian houses. (Actually one of them was started pre-Victoria and finished in the Edwardian era.) No chance was I living in one when I was an adult. All that continuous maintenance.

I now live in a property of the second Elizabethan era.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Gordoneo Bennito! Dunno how anyone could use £1000 pm d0000000000000000gh!
    Well I don't but it could realistically be £600 in the coldest months. Detached, solid brick Victorian build with single glazed wooden sash windows.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Gordoneo Bennito! Dunno how anyone could use £1000 pm d0000000000000000gh!

Before the increases my monthly direct debit was £42.50 and I was still in credit. Now mostly covered by the government £67 reduction which must be why I am paying next to nowt.

Helps it's just me and my little puppet parrot living here and I've got an oil boiler, oil is the cheapest form of heating. Not used my central heating yet, fairly efficient home, so far not gone below 17' which is usually ok for me. 800 ltrs is usually good for about 2 or 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

As usual, I was wrong. Email came through last night from OFTM, the new DD is £128 a month.
    Our electric DD is half that but we use more oil than you (closer to £300pm in the winter @ current price of £1/litre).

I think what we're paying for electric SVR is fairly typical under the Govt energy freeze: 34p/unit + £16/month standing charge.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

you mean for 18 men?
    That's why he didn't turn up.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

It was built for MF but he didn't turn up.
    you mean for 18 men?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied

It was built for MF but he didn't turn up.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

to pay the electric bill have you never heard of "mookiemoo productions"? Their video "8 men and a hot tub" is outstanding in its genre.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by mookiemoo View Post
    £680 a month over the full year

8 man hot tub

Large koi pond with up to five pumps running at any one time

Two humans who can't be bothered hanging out washing so tumble dry several times a week

One human who will turn an oven on to preheat and then wander off sometimes for hours and forget what they were doing

Nothing ever turned off at the wall

Leave a comment:

Working...
X